How to migrate openai - I cannot use chatGPT API

Hello Dears,
I am new for chatGPT API, and I am trying to use chatGPT API in my Python program, /
I tried to follow every step and setup the environment.
I followed everyhing mentioned in this document
[link](https:// raise APIRemovedInV1(symbol=self._symbol) openai.lib._old_api.APIRemovedInV1:)

I downloaded WSL, Ubuntu and everything is needed.
But hen I try to run this code

key_api = 'MY API KEY'
 openai.api_key = key_api

chat_completion = openai.Completion.create(
        model="gpt-3.5-turbo",
        messages=[
            {"role": "system", "content": "You are a helpful assistant."},
            {"role": "user", "content": "Who won the world series in 2020?"},
        ],
    )

print(chat_completion['choices'][0]['message']['content'])

I got this error

raise APIRemovedInV1(symbol=self._symbol)
openai.lib._old_api.APIRemovedInV1: 

You tried to access openai.Completion, but this is no longer supported in openai>=1.0.0 - see the README at https://github.com/openai/openai-python for the API.

You can run `openai migrate` to automatically upgrade your codebase to use the 1.0.0 interface. 

Alternatively, you can pin your installation to the old version, e.g. `pip install openai==0.28`

and when I try to run openai migrate
First I got this error

Error: Windows is not supported yet in the migration CLI

And now I got this message

usage: openai [-h] [-V] [-v] [-b API_BASE] [-k API_KEY] [-p PROXY [PROXY ...]] [-o ORGANIZATION] {api,tools,wandb} ...
openai: error: argument {api,tools,wandb}: invalid choice: 'migrate' (choose from 'api', 'tools', 'wandb')

would you mind to help , I am new to this, and really need help.
I don’t know how to solve it, I am really confused

Welcome @SanaaAl-Ahdal

This is easy to solve. Simply use the boilerplate code from docs

The v1+ packages require either an env variable named OPENAI_API_KEY with the api key or initialized as:

from openai import OpenAI
client = OpenAI(api_key = "<API_KEY>")
2 Likes

There is also this migration guide that may be helpful.

For example, the response objects are now pydantic models and not nested dictionaries. So, you’d need to change

chat_completion['choices'][0]['message']['content']

to

completion.choices[0].message.content
2 Likes

thank you @sps
I will read the link you shared and to follow

@cyzgab Thank you so much for your help.
I am still new to this topic but I believe your suggestions will help me a lot.
Thanks again

yeah this was a pain , haha did this a few week ago and did not like it one bit. if it was just the commands but same messaging it would have been nice but there was a lot more depending on how complex your system is and it was really gross having too do it manual. the migration tool forced me to reclone my backup twice trying to use it. manual is so much faster.

I received the same error, and why I typed ‘openai migrate’ to terminal, it tried to access to my photos, contacts etc. Why did that happen?

As far as I am aware @patrickthestar the utility only accesses the files in the directory it’s run on to update the code to the latest version.

My understanding is it opens files, checks if old code is present and updates it to the new syntax.