How to force to continue a truncated completion?

Hi
I’m experimenting to generate LONG texts

• using GPT3 model OpenAI completion create API / through the web playground
  • using ChatGPT

Suppose designing a prompt asking to generate a book, or to generate a screenplay.
There is a commonplace where GPT systems could generate books or movie screenplays, or any document with hundreds of pages.
But in facts I do not understand how it’s possible to lets GPT3 to implement that ‘continue completion’ from a given seed (a synopsis).

By example, I tried to produce with the GPT3 playground a screenplay via the playground, but the generated output is broken (uncompleted) at a certain point.

I’m confused. A reason could be because the max token limit has been reached (4K tokens), but sometimes the output is broken even if the limit is not reached.

Anyway, there is a procedure to let a GPT3 model to continue to generate output following previous context? Reading the API specification I didn’t find any info about.

Please don’t tell me I have to shifting/slicing the prompt window, eliminating old contents from the prompt, cycling/slicing until I achieve the real end of generated content.

Is this the only solution?

BTW, using ChatGPT instead, it seems to me that this last is ‘partially’ able to continue the generation, just saying ‘continue’, but it happens that sentences are truncated/ abandoned.

Any Idea?
Thanks
Giorgio