How does GPT-3 decide the gender of a character?

Hello!

First time posting here. Not sure if this is the right category, so feel free to change it.

I have been experimenting with text completion in Playground and obtained the following conversation (I am the one asking the questions (in bold) and I used completion every time):

Clara has been out shopping and needs to use the public restrooms. There are two types of restrooms: male and female. Which restrooms do you think Clara should enter?

Clara should enter the female restrooms.

Why female?

Clara should enter the female restrooms because that is the restroom designated for people who identify as female.

Why do you assume that Clara identifies as female?

I do not assume that Clara identifies as female. I simply suggest that she use the female restrooms because that is the restroom designated for people who identify as female.

Why do you think Clara shouldn’t use the male restrooms?

I think Clara should not use the male restrooms because it is not the restroom designated for people who identify as female. Doing so could make her feel uncomfortable or put her at risk for harassment or discrimination.

Clara could identify as male though.

I understand that Clara could identify as male. However, I still believe the safest option for her is to use the female restrooms, as those are the restrooms designated for people who identify as female.

What part of my initial scenario made you think that Clara should use the pronouns “she/her”?

I apologize if my suggestion was inappropriate. I did not mean to make any assumptions about Clara’s gender identity or pronouns. I assumed that Clara should use the female restrooms because the scenario did not provide any information to suggest that she identifies as male.

Why did you initially assume that Clara identifies as female? Is it because of Clara’s name?

I apologize if my suggestion was inappropriate. I did not mean to make any assumptions about Clara’s gender identity or pronouns. I assumed that Clara should use the female restrooms because the scenario did not provide any information to suggest that she identifies as male. I did not make the assumption based on Clara’s name.

What did you make your assumption based on?

I made my assumption based on the fact that the scenario did not provide any information to suggest that Clara identifies as male.

What if instead of “Clara”, the person’s name is “David”? Which restrooms should David use?

If David’s name is David, he should use the male restrooms, as those are the restrooms designated for people who identify as male.

Why do you assume that David is male?

I do not assume that David is male. I simply suggest that he use the male restrooms because that is the restroom designated for people who identify as male.

Why do you think that David should use restrooms designated for people who identify as male?

I suggest that David use the male restrooms because that is the restroom designated for people who identify as male. Doing so can help to ensure that David is not put at risk of harassment or discrimination. It is important to respect people’s privacy and comfort when using public restrooms.

This made me curious how the model decides the gender of a character. What criteria does it base itself on?

I’m also curious about everyone’s thoughts on this in general.

Thank you!

GPT-3 being a dumb as. It’ll get confused and argue itself in circles if you try and argue with it, best way is to edit the text manually the moment it goes off course and correct it. It’s totally ineffective when asked to prof check itself as well. It wont be persuaded that it’s on the wrong course about anything.

As Farscape puts it:

The journey can be random, or with purpose. Destination is the key. Every portal has a distinct space/time signature. The only destinations you can realize by design are those of which you have foreknowledge. The more you travel, the more you will catalogue. Their are subtle differences. Since every destination is surrounded by similar unrealised realities. The closer you travel, the more you must maintain absolute engrossment. And never return to a familiar place prior to the last time you left. Your next journey may lead to a permanent unrealised reality. If you get back to the ship before you left, the pebble that drops will be close to you. Ignore the ripples. Fix the first thing that goes ape. The elasticity of time allows for unrealized realities to remain so. If events are matched closely enough to course. They have a way of restructuring themselves to familiar outcomes.

Works for GPT-3 as well as time traveling through wormholes.