GPT is connected but doesn't understand my input

Hello,
I have my chat app connected to the API, and when I send an input to ChatGPT, no matter what I ask (including simple questions like what is 2+2), it replies with, “I’m sorry, but I do not understand what you are asking for. Can you please provide more context or a specific question?”

Is there something that I am missing?

Are you developing the chat app? Or is it one of the most popular chat apps available?
There is some confusion in the market about “ChatGPT” word taken as all OpenAI products or models - but the truth is:

The ChatGPT itself is one of the models based on GPT-3 (or GPT-3.5, another confusion that nobody can give a final answer on that) - it is the only model capable to chat in the Q&A mode you’re trying to do. That is because ChatGPT has a Chat Interface (another AI model) as a layer (or filter, if you like) to translate the informal human language to the usual Natural Language used by OpenAI models. He could answer “what is 2 + 2?” alright - but ChatGPT accepts and delivers text only - you must be sure that your chat app is sending the text of the question (ASCII characters, if in English), and not commands or anything else.
That is why ChatGPT is popular and open to the public - he is the OpenAI “advertising boy” to dissipate the fears about AI.

However, all other models offered by OpenAI are called “completion models” and they demand a very well-designed prompt by the user - not necessarily a question but more an example to be completed by the AI model. You could check:

Which model your chat app is connected to - if you are developing or you can have access to the AI connection settings: Davinci, ada, GPT-3, GPT-3.5, GPT-4, Codex or whatever different from “ChatGPT” - then they are all “completion models”;

With the completion models, you could ask in this way:
“If 1 + 1 = 2, then 2 + 2 would be” or
“List of the sum of two equal integers starting from 1 + 1 = 2 up to 5”
or something like that.

It seems that your chat app is not connected to the ChatGPT itself - but to one of the completion models - they don’t understand direct questions but prompts to be completed.

I hope this helps.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum.

Are you sure you’re sending the prompt correctly? What’s your code look like?

Does it work okay from the command line and cURL?