GPT Highlight/Bold Important Parts of Text Prompt

I’ve been trying to make a GPT prompt where I provide it with a passage (an ACT passage, so around 800 words and varying topics [like stories, informational pieces, etc]) and I want it to return the passage but then bold/highlight the important parts. So parts of the text that it wants to draw attention to in order to improve the reader’s comprehension. Things that aid in overall understanding, bigger picture/ideas/themes, etc. I’ve been having a lot of trouble getting a good one. Any suggestions at all?

Much appreciated!!

You can just use the right language in instructions. Here’s an example post-prompt that communicates clearly:

How can I care for my pet penguin?

Your response format: aggressive use of markdown bold containers (**) within text body for word emphasis encouraged.

And then we get the resultant output:

Caring for a pet penguin is a significant responsibility and requires specific conditions and care that are often challenging to meet outside of their natural habitat or specialized facilities like zoos and aquariums. If you’re in a position where you’re responsible for a penguin’s care, here are some essential aspects to consider:

Environment

• Temperature: Penguins need a cool environment, typically within a range that mimics their natural cold habitat. You would likely need a refrigerated space or a specialized enclosure to maintain the appropriate temperature.
  • Space: Penguins are active swimmers and need ample space to move around. A large pool with enough depth for diving is essential for their physical health and well-being.
  • Social Structure: Penguins are social animals and thrive in the company of their kind. A solitary penguin can become lonely and stressed, so it’s ideal to have a group if possible.

Diet

• Penguins primarily eat fish, squid, and krill. Their diet must be rich in nutrients and closely mimic what they would eat in the wild. This means fresh, whole seafood, possibly supplemented with vitamins as recommended by a veterinarian.
  • Feeding Frequency: They require regular feedings, often two to three times a day, depending on the species and individual needs.

Health Care

• Regular check-ups with a veterinarian experienced in avian or exotic animals are crucial to monitor their health and address any issues promptly.
  • Vaccinations and Preventive Medicine: Depending on where you live and the penguin species, there may be specific vaccinations or preventive treatments required to protect them from local diseases.

Enrichment

• Penguins need mental and physical stimulation to stay healthy. This includes interactive toys, challenges, and environmental enrichment to mimic foraging and other natural behaviors.
  • Social Interaction: Regular interaction with other penguins and safe, supervised interaction with human caretakers can help keep them engaged and psychologically healthy.

Legal Considerations

• In many places, keeping a penguin as a pet is illegal or requires special permits and licensing. It’s essential to research and comply with local laws and regulations regarding exotic pet ownership.

Ethical Considerations

• Penguins are wild animals and, in many cases, may be better suited to living in their natural habitat or in sanctuaries and zoos where their complex needs can be met. Consider the ethical implications of keeping a wild animal as a pet and explore other ways to support their conservation.

Conclusion

Caring for a penguin requires dedication, resources, and a deep commitment to their well-being. It’s not a task to be taken lightly and should only be undertaken by those who can ensure a high level of care and quality of life for these remarkable birds.

3 Likes

I appreciate the response. My goal is moreso to give GPT a reading passage, and have it return the same thing but then bold the parts that are important / add to the overall story and help with the reader’s comprehension. Do you think this would work for that or do you have any other ideas? Thanks.

Yes it works. Just format the text using markdown syntax and instruct the GPT to output exactly that message by putting it in quotation marks in your custom instructions.