Google is losing control

Google is flailing. After years of singleminded worship of the false god Virtual Assistant, the company is rushing its AI strategy as its competitors join their hands and raise their pitchforks. The irony is it’s all happening because Google thought it had the pitchfork market cornered.

See, in 2017, Google researchers published the article “Attention is all you need,” introducing the concept of the transformer and vastly improving the capabilities of machine learning models. You don’t need to know the technical side of it (and indeed I am not the one to teach you), but it has been enormously influential and empowering; let it suffice to say that it’s the T in GPT.

You may well ask, why did Google give this wonderful thing away freely? While big private research outfits have been criticized in the past for withholding their work, the trend over the last few years has been toward publishing. This is a prestige play and also a concession to the researchers themselves, who would rather their employer not hide their light under a bushel. There is likely an element of hubris to it as well: Having invented the tech, how could Google fail to best exploit it?

(Source: TechCrunch)

2 Likes

Good. I don’t like Google. They have made it nearly impossible to get a job there.

Their interview process is completely disgusting.

You have to give up everything and study endlessly to get in! And even then 99% will still get a rejection email

off-topic, but why are you trying to join a company if you hate it?

Oh I used to like Google. I started to hate them after they rejected 100% of my job applications. They put too much emphasis on algorithm implementation. It is completely unrealistic to expect us to implement algorithms that both work and have perfect space time complexity. I have a creative mind not an analytical mind so I never could pass. Like 1% of people pass I think. Because Google made it so hard to get a job, I hate them. I completely hate their hiring process

Oh I used to like Google. I started to hate them after they rejected 100% of my job applications. They put too much emphasis on algorithm implementation. It is completely unrealistic to expect us to implement algorithms that both work and have perfect space time complexity. I have a creative mind not an analytical mind so I never could pass. Like 1% of people pass I think. Because Google made it so hard to get a job, I hate them. I completely hate their hiring process