Folders / Hierarchical Organization for ChatGPT Projects

I would like ChatGPT Projects to support folders, groups, or another form of hierarchical organization above the individual Project level.

I use a separate ChatGPT Project for each school assignment because each assignment has its own chats, files, instructions, and context. Even when multiple assignments belong to the same subject and semester, combining them into one Project would remove the useful context separation that Projects provide.

As a result, the Projects list becomes cluttered very quickly.

I currently compensate by encoding the hierarchy into every Project name, for example:

26 2 [assignment name] [subject]

What I would like instead is something like:

2026
└── Semester 2
    ├── Physics
    │   ├── DIY Physics Sensor
    │   ├── RL Circuit Experiment
    │   └── Other assignment Projects
    ├── Chemistry
    │   └── Electrochemistry Investigation
    └── Mathematics
        └── Individual assignment Projects

The important distinction is that I do not want to merge these assignments into one large subject Project. I want to preserve each assignment as a separate Project while being able to organize those Projects into folders or collapsible groups.

Possible implementations could include:

  • folders containing Projects;

  • nested/collapsible Project groups;

  • tags with filtering;

  • semester/subject-style categories.

I would also strongly prefer this feature to work with Project-only memory / isolated-memory Projects. Please do not make hierarchical organization unavailable just because a Project uses Project-only memory.

Ideally, the hierarchy and memory behavior would be separate concepts. A folder could simply organize Projects without changing their memory boundaries by default.

If sharing context within a hierarchy is supported, it could be optional. For example, the existing Project-only memory setting could be extended so users can choose whether a Project considers only its own context or also context from its parent folder/group. This could allow structures such as:

Physics
├── Assignment A  ← isolated to this Project
├── Assignment B  ← isolated to this Project
└── Assignment C  ← optionally allowed to use shared Physics-level context

In other words, putting Projects in the same folder should not automatically merge their memories, but users could optionally allow parent-folder context when useful.

This would preserve the current advantage of Project-only memory while making hierarchical organization useful for people who intentionally maintain many isolated Projects.

For users who maintain many separate Projects, the current flat Projects list does not scale well. Hierarchical organization would preserve the context-isolation benefits of Projects while making large numbers of Projects manageable.

2 Likes