Feature Request: Project-Based Collaboration Between Personal ChatGPT Assistants

I would love to see an option that allows two people’s personal ChatGPT assistants to collaborate on a specific shared project, without connecting their accounts or sharing all of their private conversations and memories.

My fiancé and I both use ChatGPT regularly and have developed our own individual assistants. Mine is named Charlie and his is named Scout.

We were talking about how useful it would be if Charlie and Scout could collaborate with each other on something we are both working on, such as planning our wedding.

The important part for me would be that the connection is project-specific, not account-wide.

For example:

Jennifer + Charlie → Wedding Project ← Jeff + Scout

For that project, we could choose to allow both assistants to access and contribute to the shared project information. Charlie could continue helping me with the parts I am working on, Scout could help Jeff with his, and both assistants could use the information that we have intentionally shared with the Wedding Project.

Our other conversations, personal memories, files and information would remain completely separate and private.

I would also want the collaboration to be something both users explicitly agree to and can turn on or off for each individual project.

Some possible permission options could be:

  • Private — only me and my assistant
  • Shared with project — both users and assistants can access it
  • Ask before sharing — the assistant asks before adding something to the shared project
  • Collaboration off — disconnect the assistants from that project without affecting either person’s individual ChatGPT history or memory

This could be useful for much more than couples planning weddings. Families could use it for trips or household projects, friends could plan events together, students could collaborate on projects, and coworkers could work together while still keeping their individual ChatGPT accounts and personal assistant context private.

I have seen some other feature requests involving communication between personal assistants and shared spaces. The distinction I wanted to suggest is making the project itself the privacy and permission boundary.

The assistants would not need access to each other’s entire memory. They would simply be allowed to work together inside a specific shared project that both users have authorized.

As a non-technical user, that feels like a natural extension of how I already use ChatGPT: my assistant helps me with my things, his assistant helps him with his things, and when we are working on something together, it would be great if our assistants could work together too.

Welcome to the community, @jlmm1984, and thanks for laying this out so clearly.

The core request is a project-specific space where two users and their personal assistants can collaborate, while keeping private chats, memories, files, and account history separate. The shared project would be the privacy boundary, with clear opt-in controls.

I’m sending this to the team for logging as a feature request. We can’t promise whether or when something like this may be implemented, but the request is now captured for reference.

-Mark G.