Feature Request: Mini Side Conversations for Specific Parts of ChatGPT Responses

I really like how detailed and complete ChatGPT’s answers can be, but sometimes that also makes learning a new or complex topic overwhelming.

When I’m learning something new, I usually need to understand the small pieces first before I can put the whole picture together.

The new table of contents/navigation for long conversations has already helped a lot. I can quickly see the different questions I’ve asked and jump back to a specific part of the conversation without scrolling through a huge chat.

That gave me an idea for a feature that I think could make ChatGPT much more powerful for learning:

Mini side conversations for specific parts of a response

Imagine ChatGPT gives me a long explanation and there’s one sentence, paragraph, or concept I don’t fully understand.

I could highlight that specific part and click something like “Explain this.”

Instead of continuing the main conversation or opening a completely separate chat, a small pop-up or side panel would open. Inside it, I could ask follow-up questions specifically about the information I highlighted.

For example:

Main response:
A long explanation containing several different concepts.

I highlight concept #4 → “Explain this”

A mini conversation opens:

  • “What exactly does this mean?”

  • “Can you explain it more simply?”

  • “Can you give me an example?”

  • “Why does it work this way?”

  • “Okay, now I understand.”

I could then close the mini conversation and return exactly where I was in the main answer, without filling the main conversation with all of those smaller questions.

But I would also want these mini conversations to be saved

This is an important part of the idea.

I wouldn’t want the pop-up conversations to disappear when I close them. They should remain connected to the original sentence or paragraph and be accessible later.

Think of each main ChatGPT conversation almost like a folder.

Inside that folder, there would be:

Main conversation
→ Topic / response
→ Mini conversation about concept A
→ Mini conversation about concept B
→ Additional clarification if needed
→ Next topic / response
→ Mini conversation about concept C

The table of contents could somehow show these as sub-items or branches underneath the main questions.

That way, while studying, I can keep progressing through the main conversation without cluttering it with dozens of clarification questions. But if later I forget something or have a doubt, I can open the table of contents, find the original section, and reopen the mini conversation I had about that specific concept.

Why I think this would be useful

For me, learning something complicated is a lot like building a puzzle.

The main conversation is the complete puzzle, showing me where I’m going.

The mini conversations help me understand individual pieces of that puzzle.

Right now, asking every small clarification question directly in the main chat can eventually make a conversation extremely long and difficult to navigate. Creating completely separate chats can solve the clutter problem, but then those explanations become disconnected from the original context.

This feature could give us both:

A clean main learning path + organized deeper explanations connected to exactly where they belong.

Nothing would be lost, everything would remain searchable and accessible, and I could move between the big picture and individual concepts whenever I need to.

I think this could make ChatGPT especially powerful as a learning tool—not necessarily by changing how ChatGPT explains things, but by changing how conversations and knowledge are organized while we learn.

Thanks for sharing this! Anchored mini-conversations that stay attached to a specific response are a helpful suggestion. We don’t have a timeline to share for that workflow. We’ll pass this feedback to the relevant product team.