ChatGPT currently supports SharePoint and OneDrive for work or school accounts through the SharePoint integration, but personal/consumer Microsoft OneDrive accounts are not supported.
I would strongly like to see native support added for personal OneDrive accounts.
The current behavior is particularly confusing because ChatGPT can connect to my personal Microsoft account and successfully browse portions of my OneDrive environment, including folder structure, filenames, file metadata, and search results. However, it cannot retrieve the actual contents of those files because personal OneDrive is not officially supported by the current SharePoint integration.
This creates an experience where the integration appears to work until the user actually tries to read a document.
Use Case
I use ChatGPT extensively as a personal knowledge and organization assistant. I have years of personal documents stored in OneDrive, including household records, family records, financial documents, historical records, project files, and other long-term information.
I would like to be able to authorize ChatGPT to search and read that existing information so I can ask things such as:
-
Find documents related to a particular person, project, or subject.
-
Locate the most recent version of a document.
-
Search years of archived files for information related to a particular event.
-
Summarize and compare multiple documents.
-
Identify duplicate or outdated files.
-
Help organize an existing OneDrive archive.
-
Use OneDrive documents as source material for ongoing ChatGPT projects.
Read-Only Access Would Be an Excellent Starting Point
I would particularly value a permission model that allows users to begin with read-only access.
For example, I would be comfortable authorizing ChatGPT to search, locate, and read my OneDrive files without allowing it to rename, move, overwrite, modify, or delete anything.
Write access could later be offered as a separate optional permission for users who want ChatGPT to actively help organize their OneDrive.
Microsoft Already Provides the Underlying API Support
Microsoft Graph supports delegated access to personal Microsoft accounts and personal OneDrive files, including read-only file permissions. This suggests that consumer OneDrive support could potentially be added without requiring an entirely new Microsoft storage API.
Why This Would Be Valuable
Google Drive is already available as a personal ChatGPT integration. Equivalent support for Microsoft’s consumer OneDrive ecosystem would be extremely useful for people whose personal document archives primarily live in Microsoft 365 and OneDrive.
The ability for ChatGPT to securely search and reason across an existing personal document archive would significantly expand its usefulness as a long-term personal assistant.
Please consider adding native personal/consumer OneDrive support to the ChatGPT app/plugin ecosystem.
I would also be happy to participate in beta testing or provide additional information about this use case.