Edit my GPT via API to update knowledge base files

First of all, is it possible to edit a GPT via API?

If so, where is this documentation?

So far I have only been able to edit my GPT via the manual web interface.

My use case: I have a lightweight database file that I’ve found is the most efficient way for my GPT to interact with users and successfully answer prompts. I would like to set up an automated job that refreshes that database file in my GPT via API daily.

There is no API to interface with anything GPT within ChatGPT Plus. It is meant to be a consumer product.

The GPT AI can make calls out, though.

The next level beyond “anyone can do it” is to make an action that the AI can call upon. It would then be the AI getting live data from whatever API you set up to share your changing answers.

1 Like

The problem I have with actions is the size limit of responses. This limit is not there with database files that the AI can query using Analyze logic. I believe there should be an API for GPT owners to update knowledge base documents on demand.

There’s a limit to the number of files in your GPT’s knowledge base, what you are proposing is a function to circumvent that.

If you want to use your GPT through an API, there’s the assistants API for that.

If you just need more knowledge files, or the ability to update them as much as you want, you should use actions to retrieve these from your own database & API.

No I’m not proposing to circumvent the number of files in a knowledge base. I’m proposing an automated way to update/edit a GPT because users can manually do that anyway. So what will happen is users writing selenium scripts to update their GPT when there should just be an API.

Like I said about the custom actions… it’s not feasible for me because of the data/token limitation.

And no this isn’t about ”using my GPT” via an API, this is about “managing my GPT” via an API.

This is the reason why captcha’s exists, so I hope you like puzzle solving:

This is probably the correct solution for you:

All you need to do, is to make an API for your database, and call this database through actions, then you can update the database as often and as much as you want.

I already got past the puzzles. :wink:

I would much rather use an API. And I understand how to create a custom action… I did that first before anything and was disappointed when it didn’t work because of OpenAI having a response size limit that wouldn’t even return 100 rows from a wide DB table.

Then make one :+1:

Sounds like you’re already ahead on that front, it just needs a bit more work on stuff that:

Maybe it’s time to filter the response data a bit :wink: