DALL·E Struggles with Small Features Like Tiny Eyes and Lips

Hey everyone!

I’ve been playing around with DALL·E recently and noticed something interesting (and a bit frustrating) when trying to generate images with smaller-than-average facial features. While it does an awesome job when I ask for exaggerated things like gigantic eyes or large mouths, it really struggles when I try to get it to create things like tiny lips or small eyes.

No matter how much I refine the prompts, it seems like DALL·E keeps defaulting to more average or fuller features, even when I specifically ask for things like extremely narrow lips or tiny eyes. I even tried generating an image with different mouth sizes (from very small to very large), but they all ended up looking pretty much the same size.

It seems like the AI is more comfortable with larger features but just doesn’t want to go too small. Has anyone else noticed this issue? Would love to see DALL·E get better at handling more extreme variations, especially on the smaller end.

Any tips on how to work around this? Or maybe this could be something to improve in future versions?

1 Like

Hello, welcome to the club.
It could be related to what I call “the mouthy.” DALL-E uses some template-like effects which block creativity.

You can find other tips and issues there.

2 Likes

Thank you and thanks for the link, I’ll definitely check it out!

Yeah, I totally agree, it does feel like DALL·E might be working off some sort of template for certain features. That would explain why it struggles with changing the shape or size of it.