ChatPDF.com - Chat with any PDF using the new ChatGPT API

ChatPDF is the fast and easy way to chat with any PDF, free and without sign-in. Talk to books, research papers, manuals, essays, legal contracts, whatever you have!

Check it out at ChatPDF.com and let me know what you think!

Edit: 300,000 chats in 10 days, you are amazing!
Join our Discord | Follow on Twitter

101 Likes

Nice interface and crack at this problem, but the bot is deceiving as you can see here. Prompt engineering around omitting its internal database seems to help, but not always. May take some trial and error attempts to get it right.

7 Likes

Thanks for bringing that to my attention, I’ll investigate how that can happen!

4 Likes

Good job!

Are you using filter content moderation after the user uploads your pdf file?

2 Likes

That’s great, is there a maximum PDF file size? I’m assuming chunks of the PDF (based on search results) are provided for context (as per docs Answers Transition Guide | OpenAI Help Center)? Or is there some other approach used? Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

When uploading there’s a maximum PDF size of 30 MB, but if that is actually 30 MB of pure text, probably the backend function will time out… so you have to try for large files.

Indeed, I’m using the embedding technique to augment the prompt with only the relevant paragraphs when answering a question.

3 Likes

@joseicarobc Currently there’s no explicit content moderation in place! Didn’t cause any problems so far.

1 Like

Awesome!

Will you share the project git?

4 Likes

@daniloposo90 I haven’t decided where I want to go with this project, I’ll post here when I decide to open source it!

6 Likes

Just tried ChatPDF using a paper comparing two 18th Century philosophers.

Was able to get very useful and helpful answers regarding the content!

What a terrific product! Thanks. :sunglasses: :+1:

Best Wishes,
Prodos
Melbourne, Australia

5 Likes

Awesome app :slight_smile: we are planning to implement same for a few of our clients and will be leveraging IBM Watson’s Discovery for the search result instead of OpenAI embeddings …wonder which is “better”.
Has anyone got a view of the Bot’s % accuracy (i.e. is it above 80%?) I believe this is difficult to gauge because there has only recently been released a Q&A knowledge base as a possible Q&A test baseline to measure against by IBM…and what are the possible current approaches there are to mitigating same i.e. disclaimers, citing the sources, fine-tuning, anything else?

1 Like

It says my PDFs are too many pages, and “For more, use your own key.” But I’ve supplied my own key and it still says they’re too long. :confused:

Edit: Oh! I think it’s because it was using the URL input. When I upload the file instead, it works for a 280-page PDF. I don’t see why that would matter, but at least it’s working.

1 Like

Really nice work. Could you talk a little bit about how you chunk up the doc? Was it a fixed number characters or some doc-depending strategy to semantically separate the file into pieces in a more meaningful way? Thanks!

3 Likes

Can I integrate ChatPDF to my website as a Chatbot?
If yes, when will the integration API be ready?

2 Likes

Awesome! It works very well. Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi, it looks that doesn’t read all pages in the document. For instance, in some documents with 20 or 30 pages it keeps telling me that only have access to pages 1, 2 and 13, as an example. Whan I ask: what is the total amount of pages in this document, it tells me that has no access to this kind of information. Do you know how to resolve this? Many thanks

3 Likes

The App is amazing. Congratulations for the simple idea that changes the way we can read books. With this App, can we create a shareable link, which uses url to automatically instantiate the desired book?

2 Likes

You should make it compatible with multiple PDF search and charge for it. It would be a great tool for helpdesks and onboarding employees.

5 Likes

@Robin_UVote I hope to have a website chatbot widget ready in a few weeks!

2 Likes

@joao.occhiucci Not yet, but it’s on the roadmap!

2 Likes