ChatGPT Isn't Following It's Instructions Even If Stated Repeatedly

Just curious if someone can give me a hint or two. I have some very focused things I’d like the GPT to do consistently but it refuses. I have asked it not to use inline citation and to compile them at the end into a table using the Chicago Style.

It eventually gets it right but I have to burn through three prompts on every query to get it to do it.

I’ve tried the GPT creator many times. I’ve tried telling it on every prompt what I want. It simply refuses to do it until I ask it what it forgot lol.

Any suggestions? I’m only really getting 1/3 of my subscription because of this.

The context is writing whitepapers. I’m making outlines and having the GPT do a draft. Then I go through it. The inline citations aren’t very useful because the format doesn’t comply with any academic standard I’m aware of. When moved into a word process for editing they don’t retain their information. Not unless you have the GPT put it in a table at the end. At least that’s the only thing that works but it’s a constant issue getting it to do it right.

It consistently forgets every darned time! I just ran through my quota on what should have been 8 prompts probably. It does that every time. I’m not afraid to delve into some coding or whatever but in case there’s something I don’t know about I figured I’d check here.

It’s more of an end user experience thing. It would be a lot more useful if it wasn’t producing these repeated formatting errors.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community!

what do you think of this?

It’s just a start, and the citations are probably hallucinated, but is that what you’re going for?

the essay:

The platypus: An Evolutionary Enigma

The platypus (Ornithorhynchus anatinus) is one of the most remarkable creatures in the animal kingdom. With its duck-like bill, webbed feet, and ability to lay eggs, the platypus has long fascinated scientists and laypeople alike. In this essay, we will explore the evolutionary history, unique features, behavioral ecology, conservation status, and threats facing this extraordinary mammal.

Evolutionary History of the Platypus

The platypus belongs to a group of mammals known as monotremes, which are distinguished by their ability to lay eggs instead of giving birth to live young. Monotremes represent an ancient lineage that diverged from other mammals over 160 million years ago (Griffiths, 1978). The discovery of the platypus by European naturalists in the late 18th century caused a sensation in scientific circles, challenging conventional notions of mammalian reproduction.

Recent genomic studies have shed further light on the evolutionary history of the platypus. Warren et al. (2008) analyzed the platypus genome and identified unique genetic signatures that reflect its distinct evolutionary trajectory. These findings highlight the importance of the platypus in understanding the early evolution of mammals.

Unique Features of the Platypus

The platypus possesses a range of unique features that set it apart from other mammals. Its most distinctive trait is its bill, which resembles that of a duck but is actually a sensitive organ used to detect prey underwater. In addition to its bill, the platypus has webbed feet for efficient swimming and a dense fur coat that provides insulation in its aquatic habitat.

One of the most remarkable adaptations of the platypus is its ability to detect electrical signals produced by its prey. Specialized receptors in its bill allow the platypus to sense the tiny electric currents generated by invertebrates in the water (Grant et al., 2018). This electroreception is a highly sophisticated adaptation that helps the platypus locate prey in murky environments.

Behavioral Ecology of the Platypus

Platypuses are found in freshwater habitats along the eastern coast of Australia and Tasmania. They are primarily nocturnal and crepuscular, spending much of their time foraging for food in rivers and streams. Their diet consists mainly of aquatic invertebrates, such as insects, worms, and crustaceans, which they capture using their sensitive bills.

Reproductive strategies vary among monotremes, with the platypus exhibiting a unique combination of mammalian and reptilian features. Female platypuses lay eggs, which they incubate in burrows dug along riverbanks. After hatching, the young are nourished with milk produced by mammary glands, but they lack nipples and instead lap up the milk from patches on the mother’s abdomen (Serena et al., 1997).

Conservation Status and Threats

Despite their fascinating biology, platypuses face numerous threats to their survival in the wild. Habitat loss and degradation, resulting from urbanization, agriculture, and dam construction, have significantly reduced the available habitat for platypuses (Gust, 2015). Climate change poses additional challenges, altering the flow and temperature of rivers and affecting the availability of prey.

Efforts to protect the platypus are underway, but more needs to be done to safeguard this iconic species. Conservation organizations are working to preserve and restore critical habitats, implement measures to reduce human impacts, and raise awareness about the importance of conserving the platypus and its ecosystem (Woinarski et al., 2015; Connolly et al., 2014).

Conclusion

In conclusion, the platypus is a testament to the diversity and ingenuity of evolution. Its unique combination of mammalian and reptilian features challenges our understanding of what it means to be a mammal. As we continue to learn more about this extraordinary creature, it is imperative that we take action to protect it and ensure that future generations have the opportunity to marvel at its wonders.