ChatGPT Custom Action Connect with FileMaker

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has created a custom GPT to connect to a FileMaker application. I have a very simple database layout that has our staff’s information such as name, their hire date, position title, address and a few other things (nothing sensitive). I want to build a custom GPT to connect to this database layout so I can query information about our staff via this custom GPT. I tried everything, but I am stuck at the authorization part. I always get this error “The authentication attempt failed due to missing HTTP Authorization or OAuth headers. Please check the credentials and try again.”

I tried everything and had ChatGPT write different codes for me, but I can’t get anywhere. Below is my Schema code, and my authorization field is set to “None” in the custom actions.

{
  "openapi": "3.0.0",
  "info": {
    "title": "FileMaker API",
    "version": "1.0.0",
    "description": "API for authenticating with the FileMaker database."
  },
  "servers": [
    {
      "url": "https://exmaple.com/fmi/data/vLatest/databases/Database",
      "description": "FileMaker Server"
    }
  ],
  "paths": {
    "/sessions": {
      "post": {
        "summary": "Authenticate and obtain a session token",
        "operationId": "authenticate",
        "requestBody": {
          "description": "Authentication credentials",
          "required": true,
          "content": {
            "application/json": {
              "schema": {
                "type": "object",
                "properties": {
                  "username": {
                    "type": "string",
                    "example": "Example User"
                  },
                  "password": {
                    "type": "string",
                    "example": "Example Pwd"
                  }
                },
                "required": ["username", "password"]
              }
            }
          }
        },
        "responses": {
          "200": {
            "description": "Successful authentication",
            "content": {
              "application/json": {
                "schema": {
                    "response": {
                        "token": {
                          "type": "string"
                        }
                      }
                    }
                  }
                }
              }
            }
          }
        },
        "x-code-samples": [
          {
            "lang": "cURL",
            "source": "curl -X POST https://example.com/fmi/data/vLatest/databases/Database/sessions \\
            -H \"Authorization: Basic ExmapleEncodedUserPwd\" \\
            -H \"Content-Type: application/json\" \\
            -d '{\"username\": \"MyExampleUser\", \"password\": \"MyExamplePwd\"}'"
          }
        ]
      }
    }
  },
  "components": {
    "schemas": {}
  }
}

Any help would be appreciated.

Hello,

Oauth is separate from the OpenAPI specifications you have provided.

Your cGPT needs to be authenticated to use the connection you’re creating. It’ll resemble this:

Thank you! Any way I can do this without the OAuth? The idea is to share this cGPT with a small group of colleagues so they can query the information. FileMaker also doesn’t have a console to create API key like with Google Cloud.

Appreciate any advice you have.

Sorry, mate.

In your example, it’s FileMaker that is requiring the authentication.

It’s not recommended to expose information to the live internet via an API without authentication. Regardless of how ChatGPT connects, anyone could use that endpoint if they figured it out.

Even my individual connections to my data use oauth.

If you want simple and secure without too much effort, I suggest Zapier’s AI Actions. They probably already connect to File Maker.

Thank you! Appreciate your help. I will look into OAuth then.

2 Likes

oauth is easy if you need any help with it plz do let me know

I noticed it’s been a few months since you posted this topic and I wanted to check in to see if you found a suitable solution.

In my work with custom integrations on Azure-hosted FileMaker Servers, I’ve developed some workflows that might be beneficial for similar projects. Having managed FileMaker Servers for years (and years), I have always avoided exposing the server ports to the public web. However, I discovered a more secure and efficient alternative through the use of (current) FileMaker’s Data API in conjunction with Claris Connect.

Here’s how Claris Connect has streamlined my integrations:

• Built-In Connectors: Claris Connect offers built-in connectors for various external services, including OpenAI, making it easier to provide specific API access without extensive custom development.

• Webhooks and Agents: You can create webhooks to pass queries or payloads for creating records by setting up an "agent" on a dedicated, headless VM. This VM operates behind your firewall where the FileMaker Server resides, ensuring that your server remains secure.

• Data Integration: I’m currently using Claris Connect to pull data into PowerBI and Excel for users outside my VLAN. This approach maintains the security of the server itself while providing necessary data access to external users.   That external access can include orchestration and authentication for secure access.

If you haven’t explored Claris Connect yet, it’s definitely worth a look. It not only enhances security by keeping your server protected behind a firewall but also simplifies the integration process with its array of built-in connectors and webhook capabilities.