ChatGPT conversation messages disappeared

Environment

  • Surface: Web / macOS
  • Browser or app version: Safari 26.0
  • Affected feature and model, if relevant: ChatGPT conversation history / in-thread message loading; GPT-5.6

Bug

A substantial portion of messages from an existing ChatGPT conversation suddenly became unavailable from the in-thread transcript.

The conversation itself still exists and I can continue sending new messages, but a large section of previously visible messages is no longer accessible. I did not delete or archive the conversation or those messages.

Expected behavior: All previously sent messages in an existing conversation should remain accessible when reopening and continuing the conversation.

Actual behavior: Older messages within the conversation are missing while the conversation itself remains active.

This is particularly problematic because the missing messages contained important work and context from a long-running session.

Conversation URL:

Reproduction

  1. Open the affected ChatGPT conversation using the URL above.
  2. Scroll back through the conversation to the earlier messages.
  3. A substantial portion of the previously available conversation is missing/inaccessible.
  4. New messages can still be sent in the same conversation.
  5. The conversation itself has not been deleted or archived.
  6. The issue appears to affect the in-thread conversation history rather than the conversation disappearing from the sidebar.

Diagnostics

Exact error or screenshot:
No explicit error message is displayed. Earlier messages simply fail to appear in the conversation. Screenshot attached showing the affected ChatGPT session.

When it happened (with timezone) and how often:
September 23, 2026, approximately 1:00 PM IST (UTC+5:30). The issue was noticed during an active conversation and persisted afterward.

The affected conversation contains a large amount of previously completed work, so recovering or investigating the missing messages is important.

Have exactly the same issue on my account.

I’m seeing what appears to be the same issue today with a long-running important ChatGPT conversation. A substantial block of previously visible messages disappeared from within the conversation, while the conversation itself remained present.

I reproduced the problem across different devices/sessions, and on one device opening the affected conversation repeatedly produced “Network connection lost. Attempting to reconnect…”.

I have requested a full OpenAI data export to determine whether the missing messages are still present in the underlying conversation data.

I’ve also lost important work twice now since the update. It happens when ChatGPT switches me from Instant to Work mode mid Chat. I am unable to retrieve anything past that point when returning to work.

This occurs across platforms – macOS, iOS, browser (Firefox) or desktop app

I’ve posted on Sep 16 as: “Missing Work chats: one stops at the Work handoff, another has disappeared” tagged as a Bug.

Does anyone know how support works for ChatGPT?