This is still reproducible for me as of 16 September 2026, after the fixes mentioned above.
I’m a ChatGPT Plus user on Windows, using Microsoft Edge Version 153.0.4234.32 (Official build) (64-bit).
I use a ChatGPT Project for development of a desktop application. At the end of one development chat, a ZIP containing the current build is created. When I start the next chat in the same Project, I need that ZIP to be available as an actual file so that ChatGPT can inspect, modify and rebuild it.
Intermittently, the new chat knows that the ZIP exists, but cannot obtain its raw bytes in the execution environment. Starting a new chat does not reliably resolve the problem. This has been happening repeatedly over several weeks.
It happened again today. I exported the tool-call data from the failed attempt, and it appears to show the failure quite clearly.
The chat searched for the required ZIP, searched the Library/conversation sources, and then explicitly attempted to materialize the file into /mnt/data.
The materialization call returned no artifacts and this warning:
items[0].outputs[0] failed: This Project file does not have an authorized raw-byte materialization path.
So in this occurrence, the problem does not appear to be that the model could not locate or identify the Project file. It found the file and attempted to materialize its raw contents, but no authorized raw-byte materialization path was available.
I can attach the exported tool-call JSON containing the failed operation if that would be useful.
Currently, the new chat just asks me to upload the ZIP from the previous chat back to its own self. This works, but obviously defeats the purpose of carrying development artifacts forward through a Project.
I would be very happy to provide timestamps, further tool-call exports, or run a specific reproduction test if that would help track down whatever is still causing this intermittently.