Can you explain how to analyze a PDF file in GPT-4?

Dear GPT-4,

I am wondering if you could assist me in analyzing a PDF file. Specifically, I would like to know how to upload a PDF file into the GPT-4 platform for analysis.

Could you kindly guide me through the steps required to upload a PDF document into the GPT-4 platform, and provide any additional instructions that may be helpful in analyzing the file?

Thank you for your assistance in this matter.

Sincerely,

2 Likes

Sure! We are at your service!

What programming language will you be using to write your code?

:slight_smile:

I have a PDF with 1000 words, and I would like a description of each and every word. This is my only request. Thank you. I look forward to your reply.

1 Like

GPT-3/4 is not capable of directly analysing the PDF.

Here is what you can do:

1. Extract the content of the PDF as text
    • If you are using Python you can do it using PyPDF2 library
  2. Pass the extracted text to the API
4 Likes

Is there a way to feed it 1000 pages? Like a few books possibly for my class? I’ve tried other services like file.io but the temperature is not right. It’s sticking to the PDF way to much

yes, simply split the book up by (sub-) chapters and feed that to GPT-3/4 to summarize, then put the outputs in a new file with the chapter names as headlines

It depends on what kind of analysis you want to perform. There are a number of ways to analyze a PDF depending on the complexity of the data and your skills.

1. The obvious way is to simply copy paste your text into the OpenAI prompt. This is inefficient and likely and doesn’t work for very long documents. However, it will allow you to quickly gauge whether GPT meets you needs.
  2. Programmatically convert your PDF into text using python, then call the OpenAI api. This approach is best if you have a set of tasks you want to automate and/or have a large volume of files. The analysis here should take care not to exceed the token limit for GPT. To summarize a super long document, you’d need to split it into chunks. For structured/semi-structured data such as invoices, you can use the method elaborated here in this medium post for instance.
  3. Finally, you can use a dedicated platform that specializes in unstructured/semistructured data to process your data such as nnext.ai. This is best for data that has a regular format such as invoices, purchase orders, shipping notes, price-lists etc. NNext will allow you to upload a bunch of documents, convert them into a tabular format and allow you to search & query them in natural language or SQL.
1 Like

@ruby_coder Hey, I just stumbled upon this as I am also trying to build the same tool. I want to use GPT-4 to analyze PDF files and give me translated responses. I would like to build this with Python, how can I proceed?

Hi! I’m trying to solve the same problem using RStudio. Could you help me?