Beyond prompt markers: A searchable conversation navigator for long chats (Web & Desktop)

I’d like to build on an earlier feature request:

User Message Navigation Markers

That discussion raised an important usability issue, particularly in the desktop applications. OpenAI Support acknowledged the request, but the topic is now closed.

Rather than repeating what has already been proposed, I’d like to contribute a few additional ideas and reopen the conversation.

1. From navigation markers to a searchable prompt index

Navigation markers are a great starting point, but they could become much more useful if hovering over or clicking the navigation rail opened a compact, scrollable panel containing:

  • A list of user prompts, displayed as short text previews.
  • A text filter to quickly locate a specific prompt.
  • Visual highlighting of the currently selected exchange.
  • Direct navigation to any prompt by clicking its preview.

This would effectively turn the conversation’s own prompts into a lightweight, searchable table of contents, without requiring a permanently visible sidebar.

2. Navigate to both the prompt and its response

Each conversation exchange has two natural navigation targets: the user’s prompt and the beginning of the assistant’s response.

Being able to jump directly to either would be particularly valuable when individual responses span many screens.

3. Return to the previous reading position

Another small but useful addition would be a way to return to the exact reading position after navigating to an earlier exchange.

This would make it much easier to check previous context without losing your place in a long response.

4. Consistency across platforms and long conversations

Ideally, these capabilities should work consistently across ChatGPT Web and Desktop, including conversations containing hundreds of exchanges.

Navigation should also remain reliable when older messages haven’t yet been loaded into the visible interface.

The broader idea

I think the real opportunity here is to move beyond navigating conversations by scroll position and start navigating them by structure and content.

For users who rely on ChatGPT for extended research, writing, development, or complex projects, conversations increasingly behave like evolving working documents.

A compact, searchable conversation index would make those documents considerably easier to explore and revisit, without adding unnecessary complexity to the interface.

I’d be interested to hear whether other users would find this useful, and what additional navigation features they consider most important.

I completely agree with your point that long ChatGPT conversations shouldn’t rely on scrolling alone. We need a way to navigate by content and structure.

I’ve struggled with this myself. As a developer, I often work with conversations containing hundreds of questions, and finding an earlier discussion can be frustrating. That’s why I ended up building my own Chrome extension, Outlinesave.

My approach is quite close to what you’re describing. I reconstruct as much of the full conversation outline as possible, number each user question, and extract headings from AI responses. Both outline levels are cached and searchable. Keyword matches are highlighted with their question numbers, and clicking a result navigates back to that section.

The tricky part is ChatGPT’s virtualized scrolling. The outline can be reconstructed before older messages are mounted on the page, so navigating far back may require loading content in batches of around 20, with visible progress. I’ve tested this with 300+ questions in a single conversation.

I also added bookmarks, color highlights, and notes because finding an old answer is only the first step. Being able to revisit, annotate, and preserve it matters too.

Another approach I’ve found useful is exporting the conversation as an offline HTML page. It preserves the two-level outline, bookmarks, notes, highlights, and filtering, without relying on ChatGPT’s virtualized scrolling when reading the saved content. I see this as a practical fallback for long-term reference.

Of course, a Chrome extension doesn’t directly solve navigation in the native desktop app, and your suggestion about returning to the previous reading position is something worth exploring.

I’ve attached a screenshot of the extension in action, showing searchable numbered outlines, bookmark indicators, and highlights on the page.

Would you personally value faster navigation within ChatGPT more, or the ability to preserve and revisit long conversations offline?