Assistant - how to know if retrieval is being used?

Is there any way to know if an assistant is using retrieval? I have provided some large text documents to my assistant, but not sure if it is actually pulling data from there or from if it’s something already in the model.

4 Likes

If you’re on playground just check to see if the retrieval is checked.

If you’re using a API this is the get you should look at:

Here is the section of the api reference for that GET: OpenAI Platform

I can’t get assistant to read a file for the life of me through the API. seems to work in playground though.

1 Like

I can’t get assistant to read a file for the life of me through the API. seems to work in playground though.

I’m having this exact issue as well. I have an assistant created with an uploaded file. In the playground I can see the retrieval tool being used in one of the run steps. However, running the API commands sequentially for creating a thread, creating a message, and creating a run through curl commands, it only seems to have one run step of message_creation.

1 Like

I think that means the assistant has retrieval enabled, not necessarily that it was used to respond to a given message

2 Likes

I do run into situations though where the model adds a citation like it ‘meant’ to use the retrieval tool, but the citations returned are empty, which basically makes the retrieval system useless if the model will hallucinate that it cited something when it really didn’t

2 Likes

In the playground logs, the retrieval call seems to appear on the response of the Get run's steps request:

2 Likes