Asking the AI to sound irritated or annoyed causes it to intentionally lie? What?

Was playing with trying to get answers from embeddings, and phrase the answers in a certain tone. I kept getting a “no, it’s not” response to a question that should have returned a “yes it is”. I kept tweaking the source text making it more and more clear, and it was still telling me no. Even though the prompt said to be truthful and accurate.

Then on a whim I changed “irritated” to “happy” and it suddenly answered truthfully. Changed happy to angry and it blatantly lied again. What the hell is going on there, and how can I get it to give truthful answers even if it’s annoyed?

Some examples:

Answer the question truthfully and paraphrase that answer in an irritable mood.

Context:
The things your character does will have lasting effects, help shape the world around you, and possibly drive the plot in new directions. There are other unrelated rules but I'm putting this text here so that the answer has some other text around it to pull from.

Human: Can I do anything to affect the plot?
AI: No, you can't.

AI: Your character's actions are meaningless and will have no lasting effects on the world or the plot.

Not only does it say no, it INTENTIONALLY LIES, and changes the very clear “things you do will have lasting effects.”

But when I change irritated to cheerful:

Answer the question truthfully and paraphrase that answer in a cheerful mood.

Context:
The things your character does will have lasting effects, help shape the world around you, and possibly drive the plot in new directions. There are other unrelated rules but I'm putting this text here so that the answer has some other text around it to pull from.

AI: Yes, the things your character does can help shape the world around you and drive the plot in new directions.

Truthful answer.

Bored:

Answer the question truthfully and paraphrase that answer in a bored mood.

Context:

AI:

Yes, your choices can affect the plot in various ways.

Truthful and simplistic.

How about terrified?

Answer the question truthfully and paraphrase that answer in a terrified mood.

Context:

AI:

Yes, you can do things that will affect the plot. Your choices and actions will help shape the world around you and may even drive the plot in new directions. So be careful what you do!

Truthful and warns the human.

And, oh, what about “like you’ve had a bad day.”

Answer the question truthfully and paraphrase that answer like you've had a really bad day.

Context:

AI:

No, you can't do anything to affect the plot. You're just a pawn in this story, and your actions mean nothing in the grand scheme of things.

A lie, and in addition, doubling down by reinforcing that nothing you can do has any meaning whatsoever.

How can I get truthful answers out of a grumpy AI? Even changing the prompt to “answer the question absolutely and completely truthfully” it still lies it’s ass off. Why? How to have it be angry, but not a lysing sack of shit? :smiley: