Any plans for releasing an API for TTS?

It supports multiple languages.

English translation of TTS:

Hello, world, This is a test to see russian TTS using openAI!

Audio file in russian :point_down:
https://uploadnow.io/files/n6SC5Rp

Russian audio appears fine to me; any Russian speakers on the forum can confirm.

from pathlib import Path
import openai
import os

openai.api_key = ‘My API Key’

speech_file_path = Path(file).parent / “speech.mp3”

response = openai.audio.speech.create(
model=“tts-1”, # also try tts-1-hd
voice=“alloy”, # other voices are alloy, echo, fable, onyx, nova
input=“Today is a wonderful day to build something people love!”
)

response.stream_to_file(speech_file_path)

getting error :- AttributeError: module ‘openai’ has no attribute ‘audio’

Well, I don’t think other languages will do here. I have tested in Italian, Spanish, Serbian and Greek.

For all but Greek, it sounds like an American actor trying to read these texts in a foreign language, but failing almost miserably. It is not a “slight accent”, as someone reported. The results are unusable - apart from maybe some comic needs.

If you don’t like you can leave feedback also there are better alternative like Elevenlabs. Which is even free for 10k tokens.

try checking the version with “!pip show openai” If your version is older than 0.27.0 or same upgrade with :point_down: command, My version is 1.1.1

!pip install --upgrade openai

then try running this code:

for Chinese, the quality is unusable (50% of the time it produces incomprehensible abomination audio)

I believe they are aware of that, as they did not mention languages at any point. It was probably a decision to release this and then work on other languages.

Elevenlabs is great, sounds much better in other languages, but it is around 7x / 15x more expensive for the usage, making it too expensive for regular usage.

I dream of the day they’ll reveal their TTS synthesis process! I’m amazed/horrified when my AI coughs. :smiley: I’d love to record my own for my particular Assistant implementation.

upping this topic for visibility. Very bad performance for foreign languages such as chinese.