Am I banned or just chatgpt is unavailable at the moment?

I see this error constantly. I also see posts about other users complaining about similar issues but I couldn’t find any response from the OpenAI team. It would be nice to make it clear what this error means.

Does it mean I am banned and can’t use chatGPT anymore?

Access denied

Error code 1020

You do not have access to chat.openai.com.

The site owner may have set restrictions that prevent you from accessing the site.

I got an error when visiting chat.openai.com/.

Error code: 1020
Ray ID: 78af1a7d3eb01b9a
Data center: dub01
Timestamp: 2023-01-17 12:30:40 UTC

1 Like

It looks like ChatGPT is down right now, hang tight!

Thanks, @logankilpatrick ! I think the error message is a bit misleading.

1 Like

ChatGPT is a demo. ChatGPT is a beta release.

It might be of some benefit for folks to lower their personal expectations for a beta version of a demo application (at this time).

:wink:

Never lower expectations with OpenAI :slight_smile:

The error message seemed more personal rather than a general outage. I believe feedbacks are important for great products.

I have been wondering the same thing. I have been getting the same message for over two weeks. I try it each day just to be sure

When I saw this error message, I questioned myself: "I think I’m a good guy, never done anything wrong, but why does it ban me? Is it because the AI has found the evil side deep in my mind that myself don’t even know it?

1 Like

If you have issues accessing ChatGPT, please check https://status.openai.com/ and then reach out to support via help.openai.com.