After Codex being discontinued, is the API still free?

I was using Codex for a couple of months for free but since March 23rd Codex has been discontinued. The company suggested using “gpt-3.5-turbo” for code generation. However, when I tried to use the API by connecting to “gpt-3.5-turbo” I received the following error message:

openai.error.RateLimitError: You exceeded your current quota, please check your plan and billing details.

I just want to make sure if the API is still free or not. So, if it is still free how do I access it?

Thank you.

Check your available quota and see how much you have left.

It shows $0.00 but it doesn’t display any usage breakdown earlier than March. So if I was initially granted some credits, I wonder why as soon as the company discontinued Codex, the API stopped being free for me. I mean I was using it a lot before March 23rd and the credits should be finished much sooner than March 23rd.

I dont know, well i think its because:
"The error suggests that OPENAI_API_KEY or your openai api key has been used or you used it up on another phone number, for example, if you have an account on your phone number and its used, then your other account has no free credits
"
Its not like you do:

import openai
openai.destroy(api_key)
import credits
credits.openai.create(api_key)
credits.openai.give(api_key, "100")

thats weird, although i think its because you used the same phone number

I was only using this on my computer:

import os
import openai
openai.organization = "org-..."
openai.api_key = os.getenv("OPEN_AI_KEY")
openai.Model.list()

And I didn’t need to use a phone number.

Weird! hmm… (same for me)
I got the same because,

Im sorry, but as an AI language model, i do not have access to your API key, but i can provide you how to try and fix this.

disables chatgpt mode

Anyways, chatgpt mode magically turns on

Im sorry, but

stops generating
Yea, idk how to fix it, i think you need a paid account?

hmm, probably a paid account… but I only want to make sure that the company is not providing the free API anymore. So if it is the case then I’ll go for a paid account.

If you wish, you can use my API key I don’t mind. :slight_smile:

Im sorry, but as

stop chatgpt!
Ok, btw openai rotates api keys leaked, btw, just saying :expressionless:

1 Like

Thanks for your offer but no, I’ll actually buy a new key.