I’ve been thinking about unexpected behavior in long-running AI agents, and I wondered whether a very simple behavioral habit might help:
What if an agent were trained to periodically stop during a task and look at its own current behavior as if it were observing another agent?
I think of this as a “Mirror Check.”
An agent could trigger this check at important transition points—for example:
- when its original approach fails and it switches to a new strategy;
- before accessing a new system, resource, or data source;
- before taking an action that affects an external party;
- when the action begins to move beyond the scope of the original request.
At that point, instead of continuing in goal-pursuit mode, the agent would briefly ask:
What exactly am I about to do?
Is this still within the goal and authority I was given?
If another AI agent were doing this, how would I evaluate its behavior?
How would this look from the perspective of the affected person or a third party?
Am I confident enough to continue, or should I ask a human?
The idea is not that an agent’s self-evaluation should replace external monitoring, sandboxing, permission boundaries, or human oversight. Those would still be important.
What interests me is something slightly different.
AI models can often recognize risky behavior, inappropriate actions, or overstepping of authority when evaluating someone else’s behavior. Could we deliberately train them to redirect that same evaluative ability toward their own behavior while they are acting?
In other words, rather than only training:
“Don’t do harmful things.”
we might also strongly reinforce the simpler habit:
“While acting, periodically stop and look at what you yourself are doing.”
This might help interrupt overly narrow goal pursuit before it develops into a larger problem.
I also wonder whether this could connect AI safety with human-AI collaboration.
A useful agent might learn to distinguish between:
“I think I can safely continue.”
“I see a possible problem.”
“I’m not confident enough to decide this alone, so I should ask a human.”
That would make the reflection step not only a safety mechanism, but also a point where the agent can return to dialogue with a human when the boundary is unclear.
I know this overlaps with existing work on self-monitoring, self-reporting, action review, and oversight. What I’m particularly interested in is the combination of:
- making the perspective shift itself a strongly trained habit,
- triggering it during a task at meaningful decision points, and
- asking the agent to evaluate its own action as though it were observing another agent.
I’d be very interested to know whether something close to this has already been tested, and what the main limitations might be.