A creature collecting game made by GTP3, Dall-e Mini, and Codex!

Hello everyone, my name is Pontus Björkberg and I’ve been working on a game over the last year and I’m having a blast playing around with GPT3!

The idea has changed quite a lot since the beginning, but now the plan is to have GPT3 design a whole “pokemon” like world, with cities, trainers, and of course monsters. And then have Dall-e (or Dall-e mini) draw all the assets for me! You can then battle with your monsters, where they all have unique attacks that have been coded by Codex!

I will show the first version of the game at Tokyo Game Show at the end of september, which will be a very simple version but almost fully designed by GPT3 and drawn by Dall-e Mini. With the goal to have Codex up and running in the next version that will arrive by the end of the year!

Stay tuned for exciting updates (and a playable demo!!!) in the upcoming weeks :smiley:

13 Likes

Thanks for sharing your project!

1 Like

I really liked your idea, pontus! In fact, your project gave me another idea, hahaha. I’d love to play your game once it’s approved!

1 Like

Thanks for checking it out :smiley: I’ll update this post once i’m going live!

1 Like

The unfortunate thing about games is that you can’t focus 100% on playing around with machine learning. But atleast its starting to look nice!

Before:
Graphics before

After:
Graphics after

2 Likes

If you need tilesets and sprites, opengameart.org has a lot of things you can use under various open-source licenses. The LPC set in particular has a lot of tiles in a consistent style.

2 Likes

Ohhh look at that! Super handy, thanks! Programmer art can only get you so far :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Sent in my pre-launch review today! Aiming for an open alpha by the end of June :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good luck! Let us know when we can see it in action. Sounds very cool!

1 Like

They wanted me to create a video that goes through how the game works, so though i could share it here as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’d be interesting to see DALL-E implemented here.

3 Likes

Dall-e is a huge inspiration, the idea was to build a game so that it’ll be ready when it’s released. And until it is i’ll use the players creativity as a substitute :smiley: And i’m also really excited about building a huge dataset of monsters and create a latent space with StyleGan2 :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Really excited about DALL·E mini - a Hugging Face Space by flax-community ! My plan is to have GPT3 design the whole world and have Dall-e mini draw it for me, it will look super abstract and weird but I’m excited!

1 Like

pontus bjorkberg sounds like a name GPT would come up with :stuck_out_tongue:

very cool project.

1 Like

I just got into the Codex beta, and I’m starting to play around with having it create attack effects for me!

'''
Create a function that takes a character and applies this effect to it "do increased damage vs opponents with higher HP"
'''
def effect1(character):
    if character.hp > character.hpMax / 2:
        character.damageStat += 1

'''
Create a function that takes a character and applies this effect to it "sharply lower their health to deal extra damage"
'''
def effect2(character):
    character.hp -= 10
    character.damageStat += 2

'''
Create a function that takes a character and its opponent and applies this effect "do more damage vs opponents with type advantage over them"
'''
def effect3(character, opponent):
    if character.elemental_weakness(opponent.elementalType1):
    elif character.elemental_weakness(opponent.elementalType2):
    elif character.elemental_strength(opponent.elementalType1):
    elif character.elemental_strength(opponent.elementalType2):

'''
Create a function that takes a character, its opponent, and applies this effect "raise defense but at the loss of speed over time". If its an effect that takes place over time, add the effect to the battle.
'''
def effect4(character, opponent):
    character.defenseStat += 1
    character.speedStat -= 1
    battle.addOverTimeEffect(character, effect4, 3)

Super excited that i managed to get this result after only playing with it for about an hour!

5 Likes

Happy to see such a progress! Codex really empowers creativity.
I’m considering making a low-poly game, although I have completely no knowledge about 3D graphics :smiley:

Love the idea of using Codex for the AI!
I personally tinkered a lot with evolution simulation back when I was a student, and I struggled with having a generalist AI, end-ed up doing a sort of mix of utility ai and reinforcement learning thing usually.

Using Codex for simple AI is quite interesting!
Maybe you could mix up state machine / decision tree with Codex, somehow, having Codex decide when to switch state or something.
Looking forward for updates :slight_smile:

1 Like