Why Include a "Request ID" If You Can't Diagnose With It?

I’ve been getting this error message from the “Create Image Edit” API regularly (but not always) for weeks:

The server had an error processing your request. Sorry about that! You can retry your request, or contact us through our help center at help.openai.com if you keep seeing this error. (Please include the request ID xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx in your email.)

When I send these messages to OpenAI tech support, they NEVER are able to help at all unless I provide more details (and that doesn’t seem to make a difference either) which is ridiculous because you have a “Request ID” and you should be able to trivially trace it to the exact API call in the logs.
I’m not sure what’s going on here – I guess they’re not using AWS on the backend?

My guess is that you’re being given the typical runaround, in the hopes that you figure it out on your own.

Sometimes it’s just bad cloud weather, just retry. I wouldn’t worry about it unless it’s a repeatable issue, and if that’s the case you just need to work around it :person_shrugging:

The error message is as old as being able to email OpenAI…DALL-E 2 has been around for almost two years. Before the ChatGPT crush.

I expect the ID, which is otherwise of no use to you, also isn’t something that outsourced support contractors can use to look at other’s conversations or data received.

The ID field dates from OpenAI encouraging also sending a customer ID as a “user” field, to then work with you in case of policy violations.

It is likely preserved in an API return object solely because some applications that developers have made may be using that for internal database indexing or other purpose of their own.

You can review your inputs, add some retries to your code, and see if they will eventually go, or if instead will never go if identical. Very specific 32-bit RGBA image format and image dimensions are required by “edit”.