What exactly is multi-intent?

Is this sentence classifed as multi-intent or not:
“I need information for visa requirement and baggage allowance for the journey to Ha Noi?”
Because it mentioned two piece of information in one sentence? Can I regard this sentence as multi-intents, or just a single-intent: to ask for information. And the multi-intent must have to distinct intent like: “Can I have information of visa requirements and book me a hotel”
And my database is stored in the form that store separately for each piece of information
So, is this really a multi-intent question in my case if i store separately each row for each piece of information? If not, can y ou recommend me a way to store optimally to answer the question correctly
Thank you in advance

Hey there!

Is the vocabulary term “multi-intent” coming from a particular research paper or some other blog post defining such a thing? If so, do you by chance have a link to show to provide us how the term is being defined?

So, from my quick google sleuthing, multi-intent seems to be a kind of term in NLU spaces as an algorithmic enhancement to an AI formula. It doesn’t really exist or have much purpose outside of that. If you’re building a model from scratch, multi-intent can be relevant, but at that point, it’d be pretty difficult to help you out here. It’s basically a method to make it easier for AIs to understand natural human inquiry, because humans can often ask questions with multiple (and/or ambiguous) intentions. There is no evidence suggesting ChatGPT models include mechanisms specifically for multi-intent queries, just to let you know.

Because of this, I think there are likely better ways to more optimally store queries. The best method depends on what you’re trying to do.

For now though, what I can do is help show you some neat syntax tricks to help clarify some of your confusion with your sentences. Did you ever do syntax trees in an English class? Ever remember things like clauses, prepositions, etc.? Those tricks actually come in handy here to help show you if you’re asking multiple questions or not (AKA multi-intent). Let’s compare your sentences:

“I need information for visa requirement and baggage allowance for the journey to Ha Noi?”

and

“Can I have information of visa requirements and book me a hotel”

Let’s separate some clauses and phrases into brackets.

[I need [information]] [for [[visa requirement] and [baggage allowance]]] [for [the journey to [Ha Noi]]]?

[Can I have [information of visa requirements]] and [book me [a hotel]]

It’s a little janky, and isn’t perfect, but good enough.

It looks gross, but start trying to replace the words inside the brackets with placeholders like “this” or “that”, etc. and you’ll quickly see where multi-“intent” lies. Now, this isn’t actually intent, but rather identifying semantics. Let’s pick apart the first sentence again, and I’ll replace some things:

[I need [information]] [for [[this] and [this]]] [for [my task]]?

Or, even simpler:

[I need [information]] [for [this]] [for [my task]]?

With the second sentence:

[Can I have [this]] and [do [this]]

Now, it should be easier to notice what the differences are. For the distinct “multi-intent” sentence, you’re asking to do two different things, whereas your other question you are asking for two different objects. I don’t think multi-intent is a good way of looking at things like this, because it leads to a lot of confusion. From my perspective, If you intend to do two different things, that is a singular intention with two actions. If I hear a query has multiple intentions, that makes me think of something more along the lines of having two different goals. If you say “Talk to Becky”, it could be a multiple intentions if you’re not just trying to get someone to talk to Becky, but to also achieve a different goal, like to help introduce Becky to a new friend.

Start by parsing things via actions. I think that would be a good place to start.

2 Likes