Unusually high API bill from Assistants API

So I’m trying to implement a data analyst assistant for my project. The issue is that just running this one time cost me $0.66. The raw json in this case checks out at about 5561 tokens according to this online tool here: GPT-4 Token Calculator - Calculate Your Total GPT-4 Tokens and GPT-4 Token Price - Works for GPT-4, GPT-4 Turbo, GPT-4V, and GPT-4 Vision with text and images.

According to my OpenAI account on API usage:

context tokens used: 62000
generated tokens: 1300

What gives? Is there something wrong with my api route handler in next js? Before switching to this preview model, I was running my thread on “gpt4” model (which may not support assistants?) and that cost me a few dollars somehow, I had to delete the assistant to stop it rising any further.

Code in snippet below:

export default async function handler(req: NextApiRequest, res: NextApiResponse) {
  try {
    const dataAnalyst = await findOrCreateDataAnalyst()
    const run = await openai.beta.threads.createAndRun({
      assistant_id: dataAnalyst.id,
      thread: {
          {
            role: 'user',
            content: `Generate an in depth data analysis of the following data:\n\n${JSON.stringify(req.body.data, null, 2)}`,
          },
        ],
      },
    })
    let runStatus = await openai.beta.threads.runs.retrieve(run.thread_id, run.id)

while (runStatus.status !== 'completed') {
      if (runStatus.status === 'failed' || runStatus.status === 'cancelled') {
        throw new Error(`The run has ended in a non-successful status: ${runStatus.status}`)
      }

await new Promise((resolve) => setTimeout(resolve, 2000))
      runStatus = await openai.beta.threads.runs.retrieve(run.thread_id, run.id)
    }

const messages = await openai.beta.threads.messages.list(run.thread_id)
    res.status(200).json({ messages })
  } catch (error) {
    console.error('Error in API handler:', error)
    res.status(500).json({ error: 'An unexpected error occurred while processing your request.' })
  }
}

Is there something wrong with my code or is the assistants API just really this expensive?

the code looks about right to me. What does your creation code look like. Do you have file retrievals?

I do agree assistant api with gpt4 is way too expensive tho. I had 17 page pdf and 1 query cost me 0.15