Typo in gpt-3.5-turbo API docs?

Hello.

I think I found a typo on the page https://platform.openai.com/docs/models/gpt-3-5.
It says:

gpt-3.5-turbo | Currently points to gpt-3.5-turbo-0613.

However, a few weeks ago when I was visiting the page it said the following:

Mentioning that the default 3.5-turbo model will be pointing to 1106. So did OpenAI change the plans or the default 3.5-turbo is indeed the 1106 version?

Hi!

I did a quick test and for me, gpt-3.5-turbo shows up as GPT-3.5-turbo-0613 in billing. so it doesn’t seem to be an error.

turbo-1106 has different pricing, maybe they forgot and decided not to once they realized that.

Overall, I don’t think it’s a good idea to use the arbitrary endpoints anyways (“gpt-4”, “gpt-3.5-turbo”); it’s probably best to lock your model in.

2 Likes

The

are not as arbitrary as you think. The ending shows the date that they released the model, 1106 is November 6th and 0613 is June 13th.

1 Like

Ah, with arbitrary I meant the literal “gpt-4” or “ gpt-3.5-turbo” designators

1 Like

The reason that the model alias pointers have not been updated is because there is a significant issue with functions and their encoding of UTF-8 in the previews, needing a new model to be trained.

Also a lot of pushback about the quality of these AI models. A switch would break many production apps that require useful output and not reduced instruction-following.

2 Likes

Thanks guys! Now I will double-check all promises on the API page about model changes.