This is what happens when a QA creates a new protocol

Hi ! I am George Pligoropoulos and after spending too much time developing an authorization module, I created a protocol for a smoother and seamless integration between ChatGPT and any REST based Backend Server.
Enjoy!

2 Likes

Hey George

This must be very valuable, but unfortunately impossible to read/understand.

What’s the advantage of this over just using OAuth and being entirely in control of the authentication process yourself? Why give ChatGPT more control over the process than it needs (forwarding to sign in page and sending the token is all it needs to do).

Isn’t this just OAuth with extra steps?

Not sure why it is not understandable. I mean for sure needs some thought, it is not a thorough guide but if you check similar diagrams are equally understandable, no ? :slight_smile:
However this is indeed for people who wants to get their hands dirty. If I have some feedback from you guys, this could become a bit more robust and then spend time to write a more thorough guide explaining the protocol

Hi callum.
Yes I wished there was an easy way to just use OAuth instead of reinventing something new. However now the flow is new as ChatGPT will be handling the requests on behalf of the user through the actions.

With current implementation you can use typical OAuth but the process becomes a little cumbersome for the user. The user experience is not super smooth, if you want to have a proper authentication/authorization.
This is why proposing ChatGPT to store some things and be aware of this authentication process in order to make it smoother.

If you start removing the interactions with ChatGPT, you will understand that you will need for example to render the login auth url inside the chat, etc. Things that are introducing friction.

Makes sense ? :slight_smile:

For sure the diagram might be overly secure or not secure enough, but I believe eventually OpenAI will provide something to make the auth process smooth as they are amazing of offering the best UX experience