Terms of Use and Privacy Policy updates Discussion Thread

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy updates

Updated today

What changed in the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy?

You should read our updated Terms of Use and Privacy Policy, but below is a quick overview of some key changes. These changes will go into effect on December 14, 2023.

Source: Terms of Service Update page

Discussion thread for ToS update…

A post was split to a new topic: ChatGPT Complaints I have currently

Changes to terms of use are now coming every month. I just got another notice of change in email today. It’s hard to take them at face value as they shift like sand underfoot.

…The Terms of Use and Privacy Policy will take effect on January 31, 2024.

We encourage you to read the updated policies, but here is a quick overview of some key changes:

Terms of Use

• Separate business terms. We’ve removed the sections of the Terms of Use that relate to the use of our services for businesses and developers, namely ChatGPT Enterprise and our APIs. We’ve created a new set of [Business Terms] that apply to those services.

• Updated arbitration procedures. We’ve updated some of the procedures by which we will resolve any arbitrated disputes.

• Improved readability. We’ve re-organized and clarified some parts of our Terms of Use (yes, with a little help from ChatGPT) to make them simpler and easier to understand.

Privacy Policy

• Personal information we collect. We’ve provided additional details and examples about the information we collect, such as when you participate in OpenAI’s events or surveys.
  • Business accounts. We’ve provided information about how administrators of ChatGPT Enterprise and team accounts can access and control accounts associated with their organization.

The paragraph about arbitration in particular caught my attention, in the wake of 23andMe changes to terms of service are ‘cynical’ and ‘self-serving,’ lawyers say - " Three lawyers interviewed by TechCrunch called the changes in 23andMe’s terms of service with their customers “cynical,” “self-serving,” and “a desperate attempt” to protect itself and deter customers from exercising their legal rights following the massive breach of customer data." – Tech Crunch: 2023/12/11/23andme-changes-to-terms-of-service-are-cynical-and-self-serving-lawyers-say/

This does seem shady, I agree. That doesn’t even seem legal that you’re just by accepting ToS you’re somehow overruling legal procedures of arbitration~

1 Like