Suggestion for Enhancing ChatGPT UI Performance in Long Conversations

Dear ChatGPT Development Team,

I hope this message finds you well. I am reaching out to share some feedback and a suggestion regarding the ChatGPT user interface, particularly when dealing with lengthy conversations.

Issue Observed: In my experience, when engaging in extensive dialogues with ChatGPT, I’ve noticed that my computer starts to slow down significantly, especially when waiting for responses in long conversations. This seems to stem from the UI loading the entire conversation history, which can be quite sizeable after an extended chat.

Proposed Solution: To address this, I propose implementing a more dynamic loading approach for conversation history. Specifically, the UI could initially load only the most recent 50 messages (or another suitable number based on your discretion). As the user scrolls up to view past interactions, the system could then load earlier sets of messages, in batches of 50 or a chosen quantity, on demand.

This method would likely enhance the UI’s efficiency and responsiveness, making for a smoother and more user-friendly experience, especially in longer conversations. It would reduce the computational load on the user’s device, ensuring better performance and a more seamless interaction with ChatGPT.

Additional Considerations:

• Ensuring a smooth scrolling experience is crucial, so the loading of previous messages should be seamless and not disrupt the user’s flow.
  • An option to adjust the number of messages loaded each time (customizable by the user) could be a beneficial addition for different user preferences and device capabilities.

I believe this improvement could significantly enhance the usability of ChatGPT for all users, especially those engaging in detailed and extended dialogues.

Thank you for considering this suggestion. I am a frequent user and enthusiast of ChatGPT, and I am excited about its potential and continued development. I appreciate the opportunity to provide feedback and look forward to seeing how the platform evolves.

1 Like

I totally agree. There were terminals in the 70s and 80s that provided a smooth scroll functionality that I wish was adopted (even as an option) in ChatGPT.

See VT320 scroll, please. Thank you all.