OpenAI Rocks! New API Pricing and Context Expansions

OK, so I know OpenAI gets a lot of flack about a lot of things – I’m sure at least some of it justified.

But today, by accident, I bumped into this video: HUGE ChatGPT Upgrade: 16K Context Window - Lower Prices + Testing - YouTube

I almost fell out of my chair with excitement. But, to be sure, I went to this page: Function calling and other API updates

Then, to confirm, I entered gpt-3.5-turbo-16k into my API settings. And lo and behold!

So, in my particular use case, I found gpt-4 the best model, but far too expensive for daily use. I reluctantly fell back to using gpt-3.5-turbo which mostly worked, but kept giving me headaches because of the 4K context window.

Today, OpenAI solved all of those problems! Now, I’m sure other issues will arise as we continue on this journey, but today, I am a Happy OpenAI Camper!

Thank You OpenAI! You Rock!

10 Likes

Also, from prior announcement, today was the day for them to have pulled the plug on the checkpoint models like gpt-3.5-turbo-0301, but they are continuing to stay up through September 13.

Thanks.

This excerpt from the announcement

From announcement

These use cases are enabled by new API parameters in our /v1/chat/completions endpoint, functions and function_call , that allow developers to describe functions to the model via JSON Schema, and optionally ask it to call a specific function.

explains a ChatGPT prompt from earlier today which is noted in this topic.

Thank you for the heads up. I just tested the function calling and it works as expected. I have to refactor my codes now to remove the blocks that mimic this same function. This really made my day!

2 Likes

A better way to say thanks than to create a reply is to click the heart image at the bottom of a reply.

This tells the person that you liked the reply without requiring the person to read another post.

It also shows others that

• the reply is useful
  • this person is giving useful information

Hearts are like the currency of Discourse forums. While you can’t actually spend them they do count toward maintaining trust level 3 , so please consider clicking a heart when giving thanks.

2 Likes

Will the larger context windows also be coming to ChatGPT? That would be amazing

As all of what was announced should be active, try it out and let us know.

1 Like