Mobile App for Refugees: Seeking Advice on Pricing

Hello dear forum participants. My name is Alexey, I am a refugee from Ukraine, 62 years old. Germany granted me asylum. I have developed a mobile educational application for the most vulnerable part of humanity - refugees. Utilizing chat 3.5 turbo and text-to-speech technologies, I have created a tool that I believe will be beneficial to many. Being a refugee myself, I understand the difficulties they face. I would like to make this application available for free, but I realize that utilizing OPEN AI resources requires significant costs. Therefore, I plan to introduce a nominal fee for the application on Google Play after a brief free period. However, to make the application accessible to the widest possible audience, I am seeking opportunities to select the most suitable pricing plan. Considering that my target audience typically lacks a high level of education and is unable to obtain their own API, I plan to use my API for all users. Thus, I would appreciate any advice on choosing the appropriate pricing plan, taking into account the specifics of my application.

2 Likes

I can imagine that seeking asylum from Ukraine to Germany must have been a difficult journey.

First and foremost, I sincerely pray for the safety of everyone in Ukraine and for your health.

Regarding the fees for OpenAI’s API, a more affordable version has recently been released with the GPT-3.5 model.

The language model, named gpt-3.5-turbo-0125, costs $0.0005 per 1,000 input tokens and $0.0015 per 1,000 output tokens.

The input refers to the length of the text sent to OpenAI’s language model using the API, while the output refers to the length of the text returned from the language model via the API.

Tokens can vary in size depending on the language, with some words corresponding to one token and some characters corresponding to one token. It would be beneficial to research and learn more about this aspect.

I wholeheartedly support you!

1 Like

If your goal is accessibility, then one option is to decide on a certain cost you’re willing to incur for each user, for instance $1. Set the free tier to that amount, then charge people through an in-app purchase, in small increments, for their usage past that.

In my opinion, monthly plans are good for maximizing revenue. They expect people to stop using the service, but to forget to cancel their subscription. So if I were you, I would choose some kind of usage charge instead.

Like @dignity_for_all mentioned, if you use the new gpt-3.5-turbo-0125 model, even $1 or less will go quite far!

2 Likes