How do you mange Rate Limit in your application using Dalle-E3?

The Rate Limit is ver low! how do you manage an application with these low rate limits? The maximum is 15 img/min and if you have just 100 user in one minute that will not work at all! what’s the best solution?

2 Likes

I’m seeing 50/images a minute here in the updated FAQ page, but this is for DALLE2…

The default rate limit for the DALL·E API is 50 images per minute.

If you dig a bit deeper, you’ll see the rate limits are based on your Tier…which is based on how much you’ve paid and how long you’ve been paying.

Usage tiers

You can view the rate and usage limits for your organization under the limits section of your account settings. As your usage of the OpenAI API and your spend on our API goes up, we automatically graduate you to the next usage tier. This usually results in an increase in rate limits across most models. Organizations in higher tiers also get access to lower latency models.

Tier Qualification Usage limits
Free User must be in an allowed geography $100 / month
Tier 1 $5 paid $100 / month
Tier 2 $50 paid and 7+ days since first successful payment $500 / month
Tier 3 $100 paid and 7+ days since first successful payment $1,000 / month
Tier 4 $250 paid and 14+ days since first successful payment $5,000 / month
Tier 5 $1,000 paid and 30+ days since first successful payment $10,000 / month

Tier 5 rate limits

This is a high level summary and there are per-model exceptions to these limits (e.g. some legacy models or models with larger context windows have different rate limits). To view the exact rate limits per model for your account, visit the limits section of your account settings.

Model RPM RPD TPM
gpt-4 10,000 - 300,000
gpt-3.5-turbo 10,000 - 1,000,000
text-embedding-ada-002 10,000 - 10,000,000
whisper-1 500 - -
tts-1 500 - -
dall-e-2 500 img/min - -
dall-e-3 15 img/min

As it shows 15 images a minute for DALLE3 even at Tier 5 now, I imagine it’s so that any one customer doesn’t bring it all crashing down. With that said, as things move forward, I’m sure it will likely increase. If you have a winning app with a lot of traffic, you might also look at enterprise Azure offerings.

Here’s some good rate-limit advice from OpenAI …

1 Like