How can I get a formatted table as an output in Open AI's Playground?

Hi.

I have an Assistant that generates a table. In ChatGPT, tables are nicely formatted and the content can be copied easily and then pasted into an Excel spreadsheet, retaining column and row structure.

But in the Playground, the output only returns as plain text, not a table. Is there a way to have the output return as a table, in such a way that I can also copy it and paste it into an Excel spreadhseet while retaining the table structure?

1 Like

You can ask for a table in Markdown then display that for copy/paste.

Thanks. I did request this but it returns as a text with markdown notation (e.g. | for columns) but not something that can be copied and pasted into an Excel spreadhseet. It can also output a markdown code block, which can be copied, but again, not directly pasted into Excel with table formatting (pastes as text into one cell).

I did find a solution that sometimes worked. When pasting the markdown above into Excel, under the paste options, there’s sometimes a text import wizard where you can specify things like | as the delimiter, and this does paste in the columns correctly. But it’s not as seamless as the way ChatGPT website just creates a table you can copy and paste directly, which is what I was looking for.

Perhaps it’s just a limitation to the Playground, being a test environment.

All ChatGPT is doing is displaying the markdown as HTML… so all you would need to do is find or write a script to take the markdown you get from playground and display it like ChatGPT.

1 Like

Ask for it to generate a Comma separated output, or a CSV file if it will do that. Alternately you can ask it to output in JSON. I think asking for a comma separated output that is equivalent to a CSV would be a good bet, you can save that file and either paste it or import it into Excel.

3 Likes

Another solution that has previously worked for me was to use the code interpreter inside the playground, requesting to store the updated file/provide a download link.
You can then find the file in the files section of your account.
Remember to regular clean up the unneeded files as it will cost you going forward

4 Likes

Thanks. Thanks for the tip. Can you explain what happens if a user doesn’t regularly remove generated files? Aren’t the auto-removed after a while?

1 Like

In the playground when using the assistants API the files are stored to the files section of your account. In this case you will get billed accordingly.

2 Likes

@Taci

Is it OK if a moderator closes this topic?

1 Like