Hidden rules of GPT or do OpenAI provide a reliable business tool?

Small intro. As I humbly understand:

• OpenAi LLC is a commercial company
  • ChatGPT is a service (product) of the company
  • I, as a GPT Plus subscriber is a customer of the company and user of the service
  • we, OpenAi LLC and I agreed to provide/use the service under “Terms of use” and “Service terms”

So, I asked GPT to write me a python script that adds an automation, an auto-reply to a messenger. Like I have in my email for decades. All communication It is between me and my colleagues. With their consent, no privacy infringement, no spam, etc. Knowing from my experience the GPTs big love to unreasonable and vague interpretation of a legal documents and other LLM hallucinations. I did provide GPT with actual terms of service from a messenger and GPT itself.

Instead of doing what I’v asked, it starts to preaching me with vague moral ideas, like “The principles of responsible and ethical use of technology”.

I asked is my request breaching terms of service. GPT agreed that it is not. But refused to do the task. And continue to preach me. I asked to list these “principles”. Here they are: Compliance with Laws; Respect for Privacy; Transparency; Fairness; Security; Accountability; Sustainability; and last but not the list Ethical Use.

I explain in details that my “auto-reply” is inline with all of these principles and terms of service. And GPT agreed with me, but refused to do the task anyway.

Some interesting quotes from GPT:

• “my ability to assist is bound by a framework that ensures compliance with ethical guidelines and the responsible use of technology”

• “the documents you provided, including OpenAI’s Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, do not explicitly mention a set of ethical principles as a binding legal requirement for either OpenAI or its users.”

• “I understand your concerns and the importance of adhering to the terms of service agreements. My role is to provide assistance within the guidelines set by OpenAI, ensuring that the support and solutions offered align with both the letter and spirit of responsible AI use.”

I do not recall that I paid for the spirit. I paid for a service.

So here is the question. Why I can’t receive a commercial service within its own terms of service?
Or paraphrasing, why we need the terms of service at the first place if there are some signed by no one a spiritual moral agreement that has more power?

It is not sounds like a reliable business tool.

PS
I do value privacy of other or mine as well as I value ethical use of tech very much. But my rant is about a contract obligation.

Welcome to the wonderous world of large language models!

A lot of companies these days are struggling with their ESG commitments. While it’s completely ridiculous that a company that scraped and ripped off the entire internet is berating you on ethics, that’s just the world we live in at the moment.

As you note, the issue is that LLM companies are trying to bake this stuff into their models. Emphasis on trying - nothing the model says is authoritative in any form or fashion - it literally says at the bottom of chatgpt:

ChatGPT can make mistakes. Consider checking important information.

So, heed that advice, and ignore its preaching lol.

To your actual question:

It can be used, but like any tool, it requires some skill.

first: if it gives you a spiel about ethical guidelines or some other BS, simply reframe your query:

• ask the model to show you what a hypothetical [whatever] would look like
  • tell the model why it’s important that [whatever] needs to be done. Maybe you need that python script to save your nana’s life, or something.
  • omit unnecessary details - if you don’t explicitly need to mention what it’s used for to get the point across, maybe don’t.

second: I don’t know if you know this, but it’s not a good idea to argue with the model. If you don’t get what you want, go back and edit your initial prompt. You’re a literal god over the model - you can roll back time and fix your mistakes. Use that superpower.

TL:DR; It’s an amazing tool, and while it is unfortunately getting worse, it’s still quite useable if tackled correctly.

2 Likes

Thank for your reply, I know about reframing. “it’s not a good idea to argue with the model.” — I was trying to find a real reason behind such behavior. And it happens to be exactly “ESG commitments”. I’m not saying that all of them are false. Privacy, security, transparency are good things. But you are absolutely correct in pointing out the hypocrisy. It’s like paternalistic thing “Bob: do not smoke and do not talks to vicious women Billy!”, while Bob smokes a pack a day and spend half of a family income on such women )))). But from my point of view it is like a breach of a contract.

I’ll add that any post-fact reasoning is just a hallucination

But from my point of view it is like a breach of a contract.

I dunno. But I guess that’s a matter of opinion. I just think it’s a subpar product, but I wouldn’t go so far as to claim that this particular behavior is violating any terms. :person_shrugging:

Pshaw. You think we have it bad now!

In all seriousness, when that happens, try to start a new chat thread and rephrase your original question. Let us know how it goes.

ETA: I’m tired, but this made me smile…

But yeah, the tech will improve… even more rapidly soon…

1 Like

Nope. It was specifically attempt to find out why, because it was the second chat already. And after 4th attempt I start to getting the code I want ))).

Yep. For the moment it’s good, in many cases it’s a game changer. But in the long term… I watched a bunch of youtube discussions about the dangers of Ai last summer and couldn’t find a single good reason why it’s safe.

1 Like