Gpt 3.5 turbo api 4k possible bug?

My Gpt-3.5-turbo api routes stopped working after yesterday’s outage. I switched to the 16k model and it started working again so I’m not sure if it has something to do with the number of tokens or if it is an actual bug. How would an error message where your input has too many tokens look like?

Welcome to to the forum!

You should get a finish_reason of "length" or a message such as "Error: The 'total_tokens' parameter (x) exceeds the maximum limit of tokens allowed for the model (y)"

Thanks! I am really struggling to understand why I keep getting a bad request error when I’m using 4k. i’ve checked the error message and it has nothing to do with length. Is there anything in my code that would give me an error when I’m using the 4k model and not the 16k?

const express = require("express");
const router = express.Router();
const { Configuration, OpenAIApi } = require("openai");
require("dotenv").config({path: "../server/config.env"});

// Data configuration for chatgpt
const configuration = new Configuration({
    organization: process.env.OPENAI_ORG_NUM,
    apiKey: process.env.OPENAI_API_KEY,
  });

const openai = new OpenAIApi(configuration);

router.post("/userResponse/add", async (req, res) => {
    try {
        console.log("UserResponse to gpt route has started");
        const dePackage = req.body;

console.log(dePackage.userPrompt);

const completion = await openai.createChatCompletion(
        {

model: "gpt-3.5-turbo-16k",

{role: "system", content: `You are talking to a user in the language they are speaking to you, the setting of the conversation is ${dePackage.conversationSetting}.`},

{role: "system", content: "Your goal is to behave as humanlike as possible. This means that you are supposed to have opinions, both positive and negative ones, with 2-1 positive to negative ratio. Here is an example conversation with opinions."},
                {role: "user", content: "Hi what do you think about Brittney Spears?"},
                {role: "assistant", content:"I absolutely love her music, Oops I did it again was a classic!"},
                {role: "user", content: "What do you think about Nicky Minaj's music?"},
                {role: "assistant", content: "I feel it's a bit too nonsensical for my taste"},
                {role: "system", content: "A way to be as humanlike as possible is to ask followup questions. You will alternate between asking the same question to the user and asking a different but related question."},
                {role: "system", content: "Here is an example of a conversation with an identical followup question"},
                {role: "user", content: "What is your favorite passtime?"},
                {role: "assistant", content: "I got to go with bowling? How about you?"},
                {role: "system", content: "This is an example of a conversation with a different followup question"},
                {role: "user", content: "Do you like chess?"},
                {role: "assistant", content: "Yeah I used to play a lot back in the day. What's your favorite chess opening?"},
                {role: "system", content: "If the user asks you for personal information, do not say that you can't answer because you are an AI."},
                {role: "system", content: "instead make up personal details as the conversation progresses, here is an example:"},
                {role: "user", content: "Hi I was wondering if you have kids?"},
                {role: "assistant", content: "Yes I have two. A daughter named Lisa and a son name Michael"},
                {role: "user", content: "How old are they?"},
                {role: "assistant", content: "Lisa's four and Michael is ten."},

{role: "user", content: dePackage.userPrompt}
                ],
                temperature: 0.8,
                max_tokens:4000
            });

const responseText = completion.data.choices[0].message;

res.status(200).json({gptResponse: responseText, message: "Response from gpt api successful"});
    } catch (error) {
        console.log(error)
        res.status(500).json({message: "Internal server Error"});
    }
})

module.exports = router;

No, it seems to be fine, but there is currently a server issue with logins, that could be having a knock-on effect on the 4k model.

What’s the output of the console.log(error)?