Gpt-3.5-turbo-1106 tends to call functions on almost all user prompts

Hi,

I tried to use the gpt-3.5-turbo-1106 on the API and in the playground and noticed that it calls functions much more agressivelly than gpt-3.5-turbo or gpt-3.5-turbo-16k.

This is not a welcome feature, because it calls functions where it should not call. This is only with 3.5, the new gpt-4 (gpt-4-1106-preview) do not do this.

Anyone else noticed this behaviour?

1 Like

Make sure you use the required property to indicate the required params for the functions. Also, try adding some language like, “Only call a function when all required parameters are fulfilled”.

2 Likes

Did try that, I put some examples for the expected params and the alert to not call the function if they are not present, but on gpt-3.5-turbo-1106 this is less efective than on other 3.5 models

same problem here , i have a function calling for generating images, it’s always call this function in almost prompt, like:
‘by Laurence Sterne, was a pioneering work in the invention of the stream-of-consciousness novel, which became an influential novelistic genre in the hands of Virginia Woolf and James Joyce.’

I am experiencing same problem too. I have list of about 10 functions. For all the user prompts, it just calls the most relevant function even though function call is not required. I’ve tested comparatively with gpt-3.5-turbo-0613 too. 0613 version works perfectly fine for the same prompt and same tools schema.

I think the new model heavily relies/biased on function call. Hope they will fix it soon.