Google says it classifies AI-generated content as ‘spam’

Per a report from Search Engine Journal’s Matt Southern, Mueller says GPT-3 and other content generators are not considered quality content, no matter how convincingly human they are:

These would, essentially, still fall into the category of automatically-generated content which is something we’ve had in the Webmaster Guidelines since almost the beginning.

My suspicion is maybe the quality of content is a little bit better than the really old school tools, but for us it’s still automatically-generated content, and that means for us it’s still against the Webmaster Guidelines. So we would consider that to be spam. [SOURCE]

So… is it still spam if a human edits? How can they tell? Also, only big corporations are allowed to use automation? This is going to be interesting in the years ahead…

The potential for misuse of LLM is very high, so in general I agree. Anyways, anyone who’s just using this remarkable technology to dump content on the web isn’t using it to it’s full potential. It’s a non-issue to me.

Which is why I asked about human editing. I also have to wonder about Buzz Feed and the like “dumping” ridiculous content on the web to attract clicks.

It was almost a decade ago now, (actually, 2006), that AP and others started using techniques to automate storytelling. They started with sports stats, I believe, and were “dumping/publishing” a lot more content than they could before.

And if the content is valuable to the end-user, does the means by which it was created really matter?

As I said, interesting times…

ETA: I’m not on the side of spammers, but I do like to look at things from both sides most of the time!

Long before this brilliant project - content creators like myself have fallen victim to intellectual theft at the hands of larger publications like New York Times & Washington post. I created a term on my YouTube channel called ‘BAMA PRIVILEGES’ that shine a light favoritism in college football and within three day ESPN hosts were using the term without giving me credit.

Google invented spam - then made $28 billion from 2010 to 2015 off Adsense. The cheek-ass audacity to critique or critize our projects especially considering Google has never had an original thought in life!

Brother, you have fired up down here in New Orleans :rofl:- keep the great post coming.