Google Cloud Next AI Product Announcements (Supercut)

A bunch of new announcements at Google Cloud Next. Here’s a supercut of the event.

Nothing too impressive, imho, but Google has been around for decades now and have a great foundation. Competition is heating up which will accelerate AI dev even more.

Your thoughts?

Google certainly has a strength in having its own search engine, doesn’t it?

However, their announcements can sometimes seem a bit overly dramatic :sweat_smile:

I believe that progress in multimodal vision and text, as well as video generation, will continue.

ASICs like TPUs are useful for both training and inference in models, but I think they have limitations in versatility.

I’m also concerned about whether data centers and power plants will be sufficient.

1 Like

For sure! Haha.

Yeah, this is what I was meaning with their “foundation”… They’ve got a lot of infrastructure. However, they’re fighting with Microsoft/OpenAI, Amazon, Facebook, and others for available compute…

One of the big jokes at Dev Day 23 was “we need GPUs…” That said, Nvidia seems to be making a lot of progress which might mean more compute for all - or those with $$ to pay for it.

1 Like

I want a super high-performance GPU that runs on solar power and fits in a smartphone🤣

1 Like

Soon, likely!

The other advantage they have is all their (mostly) stable apps like Gmail, Docs, etc. where you can just hook an LLM to it for $xx+ extra per month.

With all these tools charging, it’s going to be even harder to compete unless you can bundle everything for a low monthly price?

Google has already hit me up at least a dozen times asking me to spend money on their AI.

TPUs complement the demand for GPUs, and even when new types of high-performance GPUs are released, older GPUs continue to be used.

Rather than widening the gap where only those with $$ can afford these resources, I see it as a direction where computational resources are distributed to many people😃

1 Like

An optimist! :slight_smile:

1 Like