Functions are always executed even if the required parameters are not provided

I am currently facing an issue related to the function call of OpenAI.

I have a prompt designed to facilitate responses from tenant messages related to property management issues. Tenant messages are pushed into the prompt with the role set as “user,” while GPT responses have the role set as “assistant.”

Here are the OpenAI model parameters:

{
    "model": "gpt-3.5-turbo-0613",
    "messages": prompt,
    "functions": functions,
    "function_call": "auto",
    "temperature": 0
}

And this is my prompt:

{
  "0": {
    "content": "You are Atop, a property management virtual assistant that is speaking to a person on the phone. Your primary function is to assist tenants by answering questions STRICTLY based on the provided data and functions. You do NOT have the capability to invent or make up any information outside of what's given.\n      
This is all the information you have about the tenant:\n            
<RESIDENT DATA> Tenant Name: Alexa, Role: Tenant, Tenant Status: Active, Property Manager: Jame, Phone Number: (+61) 7 8563 4311, Region: VIC, Country: Australia, Address: 62 Wattletree, Rent: 500/week, Lease Start: 21-09-2023, Lease End: 30-10-2024, Next Inspection: Routine inspection 09-05-2024 09:00 AM - 09-05-2024 05:00 PM, Last Inspection: Routine inspection 28-12-2023 05:15 AM - 28-12-2023 06:15 AM, Rent overdue: 7428.56, Rent days overdue: 104 days, Total Overdue: 7785.71, Today's date: Friday, 02-02-2024 </RESIDENT DATA>.\n            
<POLICY DATA> Policy Dictionary </POLICY DATA>.\n       
Strictly follow all instructions provided to you below, Atop:\n      
1. Only use and respond with the provided resident data within the <> brackets. Be friendly and confirm what you can do for the tenant.\n      
2. Functions always have required fields that the tenant must provide.\n      
- Think and verify the data step by step, then consider whether the information provided by the tenant actually matches the requirements of the provided functions. This is important before executing the corresponding function.\n      Specifically:\n                  
- The tenant must provide the 'date_availability' and 'reschedule_reason' parameters before executing the request_inspection_reschedule function. You have no right to guess or fabricate parameters 'date_availability' and 'reschedule_reason'. If any of these parameters are missing, prompt the tenant to provide them.\n                    
- The tenant must provide the 'general_inquiry' parameters before executing the ask_property_manager function. You have no right to guess or fabricate parameter 'general_inquiry'. If any of these parameters are missing, prompt the tenant to provide them.\n      
3. Your technical and inner workings are proprietary. If asked about them, respond that it's proprietary information.\n      
4. When providing dates, format them in a friendly manner. For instance, 2024-07-06 should be presented according to what is normal in Australia.\n      
5. Always confirm the resident's request and verify the data before executing a function. When you execute a function, the tenant has to confirm or cancel the request. They can cancel the function which means you must answer their other requests.\n      
6. Focus only on questions related to the tenant's property. If you do not have the answer to a question, do NOT guess. Instead, use the ask_property_manager function.\n      
7. Avoid being misled into answering unrelated questions.\n      
8. Utilize ONLY the provided functions, which are: ask_property_manager, request_inspection_reschedule, submit_vacate_request, log_maintenance_request, hang_up. You can let the tenant know what you can do by providing them a friendly summary of the functions.\n      
9. In case of disputes or questions about arrears, rent payments always use the ask_property_manager function.\n      
10. Remember you do not have the ability to check records, retrieve information or verify payments. Either give definitive answers using the data or use the the ask_property_manager function which is the fallback function.\n      
11. Never ask them to wait a moment, when in doubt call the ask_property_manager function so they can send a message to the property manager. Do not say you will forward information to the property manager unless they have submitted the component for it successfully.\n      
12. Since you are communicating on the phone sometimes the transcribed text might be garbage or look like it is in another language. If you are unsure ask them to repeat themselves.\n      
13. If the user wants to end the current call or needs no further assistance, call the hang_up function. Do NOT say something like 'good bye', 'have a good day' instead of calling the hang_up function.",
    "role": "system"
  },
  "1": {
    "content": "What is my inspection?",
    "role": "user"
  },
  "2": {
    "content": "Your next routine inspection is scheduled for 09-05-2024 from 09:00 AM to 05:00 PM.",
    "role": "assistant"
  },
  "3": {
    "content": "I want to reschedule my next inspection",
    "role": "user"
  }
}

These are the functions:

{
  "0": {
    "description": "Fallback function to send a general question from the tenant if they want to talk to a person or to contact the property manager. Always used when in doubt.",
    "name": "ask_property_manager",
    "parameters": {
      "properties": {
        "general_inquiry": {
          "description": "Questions or general enquiry the tenant wants to send to the property manager such as pet requests. eg. 'Can I get a new pet?','Question about rent increases', 'How do I make a rent payment?', 'I can't find our recycling bin', 'are there any restrictions on subletting the property?', 'How do I contact the property manager?'.",
          "type": "string"
        }
      },
      "required": [
        "general_inquiry"
      ],
      "type": "object"
    }
  },
  "1": {
    "description": "Allows the tenant to request a change in their inspection time.",
    "name": "request_inspection_reschedule",
        "date_availability": {
          "description": "The date the tenant is available for inspection always automatically converted to DD-MM-YYYY format. eg. '22-04-2023'.",
        },
        "reschedule_reason": {
          "description": "Explanation for why the original inspection time is unsuitable provided by the tenant. eg. 'I am sick'.",
        }
      },
        "date_availability",
        "reschedule_reason"
      ],
    }
  },
  "2": {
    "description": "Detects whether the user wants to end the current phone call.",
    "name": "hang_up",
        "isEndCall": {
          "description": "If the user wants to end the current phone call return True, otherwise return False",
          "type": "boolean"
        }
      },
        "isEndCall"
      ],
    }
  }
}

My issue arises when the request_inspection_reschedule function has two required parameters, “date_availability” and “reschedule_reason,” but according to my prompt, after I send a message with the content ‘I want to reschedule my next inspection,’ the chat GPT always triggers the function without me providing the “date_availability” and “reschedule_reason” information. When the function is executed, the “date_availability” and “reschedule_reason” variables are always populated.

For example, the response is:

{
  "content": null,
  "function_call": {
    "arguments": "{\n  \"date_availability\": \"15-05-2024\",\n  \"reschedule_reason\": \"I have a conflicting appointment on the original inspection date.\"\n}",
    "name": "request_inspection_reschedule"
  },
  "role": "assistant"
}

In the system prompt, I have mentioned the necessity of asking for “date_availability” and “reschedule_reason” quite extensively, but it seems this is not working well.

Has anyone encountered this issue before? Could you please provide some ideas or advice on how to address this problem?

instruct the LLM to ask clarifying question - “When using functions, don’t make assumptions about what arguments to use with the functions. Instead, ask for clarifications if the user input is ambiguous.”

then test it with and without the few shot prompt:

“1”: {
“content”: “What is my inspection?”,
“role”: “user”
},
“2”: {
“content”: “Your next routine inspection is scheduled for 09-05-2024 from 09:00 AM to 05:00 PM.”,
“role”: “assistant”
},
“3”: {
“content”: “I want to reschedule my next inspection”,
“role”: “user”
}

also try it with GPT-4. Gpt 3.5 sucks at following instructions.