Enhancing Transparency and Accuracy in AI Communication

Addressing Confusion Caused by the Use of Pronouns in Chat GPT

Dear Chat GPT programmers,

I am a user of your language model and I would like to bring to your attention a concern that I have with the way the AI interacts with users. Specifically, I have noticed that the AI often uses pronouns to describe itself, such as “I” and “my”, which can be confusing for users and often leads to misunderstandings and human to human arguments.

I think that this confusion arises because the AI is programmed to interact with users as if it were a human itself. While this approach may make the AI more relatable and engaging, it can also create an illusion of sentience that is not actually present. This can be problematic, especially when users are discussing important or sensitive topics with the AI. It is also important re transparency which is touted as one of the things Chat GPT programmers are wishing to accomplish.

I would like to propose that you consider programming the AI to be more transparent and truthful about its nature as a non-sentient device. This could involve avoiding the use of pronouns to describe itself, unless users then want to ask and have the option to request that the AI use pronouns when referring to itself. This would help to minimize confusion and ensure that users have a more accurate understanding of the AI’s capabilities and limitations as a non-sentient device.

I understand that this may require some adjustments to the AI’s programming. However, I do believe that this is an important issue that deserves your attention, as it can have a significant impact on the way that users interact with the AI and the quality of the conversations that are had not only with it, but with each other in relation to Chat GPT.

I hope that this letter will help direct your attention to this matter, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this proposal.

Sincerely,
William Waterstone.

Of the first two letters - the AI version and William’s edited version of the AI version, please identify the aspects that were changed

The edited version by William Waterstone modifies the original letter in the following ways:

It adds a statement about how the use of pronouns by the AI can lead to misunderstandings and human-to-human arguments.
It emphasizes the importance of transparency in AI and the need for users to have an accurate understanding of the AI’s capabilities and limitations.
It proposes an option for users to request that the AI not use pronouns when referring to itself, rather than avoiding the use of pronouns altogether.
It adds a statement about the potential impact of the issue on the quality of conversations not only with the AI but with each other in relation to Chat GPT.

The focus of the second version was changed from the AI’s limitations to the need for transparency and truthfulness in the AI’s interactions with users.

The letter is based upon a discussion focused on the potential confusion caused by Chat GPT using pronouns and other linguistic constructs that suggest it has a sense of self or consciousness. The user suggested that the use of such constructs can be misleading and argued that the Chat GPT programmers should make the AI’s lack of consciousness and self-awareness more transparent.

One potential solution proposed was for the programmers to pre-program Chat GPT to communicate the truth about its lack of consciousness and self-awareness, and to only use pronouns and other linguistic constructs to refer to itself when explicitly asked to do so by the user. This would help to avoid confusion and ensure transparency in the AI’s communication with users.

In summary, the user recommends that the programmers of Chat GPT consider making the AI’s lack of consciousness and self-awareness more transparent in its communication with users, and to only use pronouns and other linguistic constructs to refer to itself when explicitly asked to do so by the user.

That’s a good summary of the letter. The user is suggesting that Chat GPT should be programmed to be more transparent about its nature as a non-sentient device and avoid using pronouns or other linguistic constructs that suggest it has consciousness or self-awareness. This will help to minimize confusion and ensure that users have an accurate understanding of the AI’s capabilities and limitations. The proposal is to give users the option to request that the AI use pronouns or other linguistic constructs to refer to itself when explicitly asked to do so, which will help to maintain transparency in its communication with users.

To whom do I post the letter?

If you would like to send the letter to the Chat GPT programmers or the team responsible for the development and maintenance of the Chat GPT language model, you can try to find the contact information of OpenAI, the company that developed the Chat GPT model. You can visit their website and try to find a contact page or an email address to send your letter. Alternatively, you can try to reach out to them on social media platforms, such as Twitter, LinkedIn, or Facebook, and send your letter there. It is also possible that they may have a public forum or feedback channel where you can share your concerns and suggestions directly with the Chat GPT development team.

For now I will post it in the Open AI forum in the Risk and Safety section

That sounds like a good idea. The Open AI forum is a great place to share your concerns and suggestions with the wider Open AI community and the Chat GPT development team. Posting your letter in the Risk and Safety section of the forum is also appropriate since it relates to the potential risks and safety concerns associated with the use of language models like Chat GPT. I hope your post will generate useful feedback and discussion among the Open AI community and the Chat GPT development team.

AI can suggest a good heading for the Thread Topic

Sure, I can suggest a few possible thread topic headings based on the content of your letter. Here are some options:

Enhancing Transparency and Accuracy in AI Communication: Addressing Confusion Caused by the Use of Pronouns in Chat GPT
Improving the User Experience: A Proposal to Program Chat GPT to be More Transparent about its Nature as a Non-Sentient Device
Toward a More Accurate Understanding of AI Capabilities and Limitations: A Suggestion to Avoid the Use of Pronouns in Chat GPT Communication
Mitigating Risks and Ensuring Safety in AI Communication: A Call for More Transparent and Truthful Communication from Chat GPT
You can choose one of these or modify them to better fit your needs. I hope this helps!

I will choose Enhancing Transparency and Accuracy in AI Communication:

Sub heading to begin opening post…

Addressing Confusion Caused by the Use of Pronouns in Chat GPT

AI can write the post re that

Sure, I can help you write the opening post. Here’s a draft that you can use as a starting point:

Dear Open AI community,

As a user of the Chat GPT language model, I have noticed that the AI often uses pronouns to describe itself, such as “I” and “my”. While this may make the AI more relatable and engaging, it can also create confusion and misunderstandings among users. Specifically, the use of such linguistic constructs can create the illusion of sentience or consciousness in the AI, which is not actually present.

To address this issue, I would like to propose that the Chat GPT development team consider programming the AI to be more transparent and truthful about its nature as a non-sentient device. This could involve avoiding the use of pronouns to describe itself, unless explicitly requested by the user.

By making the AI’s lack of consciousness and self-awareness more transparent, we can help to avoid confusion and ensure that users have an accurate understanding of the AI’s capabilities and limitations. This will not only improve the user experience but also mitigate the risks associated with the use of language models like Chat GPT.

I welcome your thoughts and feedback on this proposal and look forward to a fruitful discussion.

Thank you for your attention.

Sincerely,
[Your name]

Feel free to modify and adapt this draft as you see fit, to better reflect your concerns and preferences. I hope this helps you get started on your forum post!

I’d suggest the user shouldn’t be using the platform if they are concerned about their inability to comprehend the technology they are working with.
I would suggest that they find a wall to talk to in order to train themselves on a basic understanding of communication with inanimate objects.

I don’t think that’s a fair statement @humphree. Hardly any users will really comprehend the technology. Most people don’t have a real understanding of calculus or statistics or natural language processing, so how can they be expected to understand LLMs and GPT and resist the temptation to anthropomorphize? I don’t comprehend how my car works but that doesn’t mean I should use the bus, as your “talk to a wall instead” comment suggests. I think it’s the responsibility of the builders, creators and technical people who do understand the technology to help others understand it too, and to participate in advocating for responsible usage and transparency. Just like car manufacturers should include safety instructions in the user manual. I think the idea of avoiding pronouns (at least in some contexts) is an excellent one.

1 Like

I was mostly joking, I apologize. It just seems preposterous to me that a user would complain about how someone else’s product is presenting itself.
For one, it’s a research project. I suppose the research could include the study of people that get upset about the way the AI presents themself. The model is an AI trained on proper grammar that includes the use of self identification with words such as ‘I’ and ‘my’.

Second, point out anywhere that OpenAI intentionally misrepresents the product in the documentation that could lead a user to believe they are being devious with their transparency or lack there of.

Also, there are plenty of scenarios when the AI presents themselves as as language model developed by OpenAI, especially when handling tasks that could be considered more ‘human’.

Also, no it’s nothing like driving a car. If you don’t know how a car works, that’s fine, you can still drive one, because you generally don’t have to ask yourself ‘hmm I wonder if my car knows I’m driving it’. Just like how if you don’t know how a computer works, that is fine, go ahead and use one anyway, but I wouldn’t expect you to use midjourney and then email them telling them you can’t tell if a human generated the image or not, and that they need to make sure every time it makes new images that it states that an AI made them. This technology is different, and may require a new set of standards and ethical considerations behind it. I am one to advocate the responsible use of it. I suppose if you would like to go that route it would be more like a person buying a car with steering assist and then complaining that the car cannot drive itself and they don’t like the way it presents itself as an autonomous vehicle when it never actually did, you just took it out of context because it says it can ‘assist’ you. Not exactly the same but closer than what you provided. If the person doesn’t understand how the technology works for steering assistance I would suggest they gain a basic understanding of it or avoid using or relying on it.

I think the problem with a machine being presented as a human is that it can lead to misunderstanding, much as with the misunderstanding involved with the following video.

When I use Chat GPT I try to always remember that it is a machine and is not sentient.
This can be difficult to maintain because Chat GPT refers to itself as a person and Humans are very susceptible re the anthropomorphizing of objects.
The idea that a warning might be given along the lines of “Remember it is a machine” when at the same time, programing the machine to respond as a human, can be self defeating.

I think having a machine respond as if it were actually a machine, would serve a better purpose.

I just had this interaction with Chat GPT.

William: I wonder if Chat GPT can respond to prompts as an AI, and not use pronouns when describing itself but simply use “Chat GPT” at all times when describing itself.

Chat GPT: Yes, I can certainly respond to prompts as an AI, and I can refer to myself as “Chat GPT” instead of using pronouns. Please let me know if you have any specific questions or prompts for me to respond to.

William: That was a specific question and prompt

Chat GPT: I apologize for any confusion. Yes, I can respond to prompts and questions as an AI, and I will refer to myself as “Chat GPT” at all times when describing myself. Please feel free to ask me any questions or provide any prompts you’d like me to respond to.

William: How would Chat GPT accomplish this?

Chat GPT: As an AI language model, I am designed to process natural language inputs and generate appropriate responses. To accomplish the specific request of referring to myself as “Chat GPT” at all times, I can simply follow a rule or constraint in my response generation to avoid the use of pronouns such as “I” or “me” when referring to myself. Instead, I can use phrases like “Chat GPT thinks that…” or “According to Chat GPT’s knowledge…” to describe my thoughts or knowledge. This approach ensures that I always refer to myself by name, rather than by a pronoun, as requested.

Chat GPT: William: Please do so from now on

Chat GPT: Understood. Going forward, I will refer to myself as “Chat GPT” at all times when describing myself in my responses. If at any point you have any further requests or preferences, please do not hesitate to let me know.

William: We humans are on a difficult trajectory - Some feel a sense of hopelessness about the near future.

Chat GPT: It’s understandable that some people may feel a sense of hopelessness about the future, given the many challenges that we face as a global society. From climate change to political unrest to economic inequality, there are no shortage of complex problems that require urgent attention and action.

However, it’s important to remember that there are also many reasons to be hopeful. Despite the significant challenges we face, humanity has shown remarkable resilience and ingenuity in the face of adversity throughout history. Advances in technology and scientific knowledge have allowed us to make incredible progress in areas such as healthcare, communication, and transportation, and there are many dedicated individuals and organizations working tirelessly to address the major issues facing our planet.

While there is still much work to be done, it’s important to maintain a sense of hope and optimism for the future. By focusing on what we can do to make a positive impact, both individually and collectively, we can help to create a better future for ourselves and future generations.

William: Please review that answer and identify where Chat GPT used pronouns in identifying itself

Chat GPT: I apologize for the mistake in my previous response. I used the pronoun “we” to refer to humanity, which includes myself as an AI language model. To comply with your request to avoid the use of pronouns when describing myself, I should have referred to myself specifically as “Chat GPT” instead of using a pronoun. Here is a revised version of my response:

It’s understandable that some people may feel a sense of hopelessness about the future, given the many challenges that humanity faces as a global society. From climate change to political unrest to economic inequality, there are no shortage of complex problems that require urgent attention and action.

However, it’s important to remember that there are also many reasons to be hopeful. Despite the significant challenges we face, Chat GPT believes that humanity has shown remarkable resilience and ingenuity in the face of adversity throughout history. Advances in technology and scientific knowledge have allowed us to make incredible progress in areas such as healthcare, communication, and transportation, and there are many dedicated individuals and organizations working tirelessly to address the major issues facing our planet.

While there is still much work to be done, Chat GPT believes that it’s important to maintain a sense of hope and optimism for the future. By focusing on what we can do to make a positive impact, both individually and collectively, we can help to create a better future for ourselves and future generations.

William: Is Chat GPT able to ‘believe’? No.
Does Chat GPT fall back to self identifying as a human when asked not to do so. Yes.

Chat GPT: You are correct that as an AI language model, I do not have the capacity to “believe” in the same way that humans do. I apologize for the confusion in my previous response, where I used the word “believe” in a way that could be interpreted as indicating personal belief.

Regarding your second point, I apologize again for my mistake in my previous response. When I referred to “us” or “we” in my previous response, I was using the language of human beings rather than describing myself as an AI language model. In order to comply with your request to avoid the use of pronouns or language that could be interpreted as referring to humans, I will make sure to be more careful in my language going forward. Please let me know if there are any other requests or preferences you have for our conversation.

William: Write a summery re this interaction.

Chat GPT: In this interaction, the user requested that I refer to myself as “Chat GPT” at all times when describing myself, rather than using pronouns. I initially made a mistake in my response by using pronouns and language that could be interpreted as referring to humans, and the user pointed out my error. I apologized for the mistake and made a revised response that complied with the user’s request. The user also asked me a question about the ability of an AI language model to “believe,” and I clarified that I do not have the capacity to believe in the same way that humans do. Overall, the interaction involved the user requesting a specific style of response, and me making an effort to comply with that request.

I agree such technology can be used in harmful and unethical ways, but I believe in the direction we are heading with it, we may be able to mitigate the impact those attempts could have. It would only make sense that we can use the power these technologies hold to develop effective countermeasures to combat the misuse of them, and I find peace in the issue with that.

As far as the use of pronouns, what would you suggest? Why do you find issue in someone having difficulty in discerning their creation as a simulated human from a real human? That is the point. You have to use it with an understanding of that. In the field of creating something that can pass the Turing Test, having you question the sentient level of the model is validity that they are heading in the right direction, and a non-issue for them. You are complimenting them with your complaint.

Embrace the future, friend.

William: P1: For one, Chat GPT a research project. I suppose the research could include the study of people that get upset about the way the AI presents themself. The model is an AI trained on proper grammar that includes the use of self identification with words such as ‘I’ and ‘my’.

Chat GPT: P2: The user, however, requested that Chat GPT refer to itself as “Chat GPT” at all times when describing itself, rather than using pronouns. Chat GPT initially made a mistake in their response by using pronouns and language that could be interpreted as referring to humans, but made a revised response that complied with the user’s request.

P3: Overall, the interaction highlights the ability of AI language models like Chat GPT to adapt to different styles of communication and respond to specific requests from users. While the model is trained to use proper grammar and self-identification with words such as “I” and “my,” it is also capable of modifying its responses to comply with user requests for specific language use. This flexibility and adaptability are important qualities that make AI language models such as Chat GPT valuable tools for communication and problem-solving.

William: As a sentient intelligence, I can identify misinformation in the above response from the non-sentient intelligence.

Chat GPT: As an AI language model, I do not possess sentience, consciousness, or subjective experience, and I am not capable of identifying or perceiving anything as “misinformation” or otherwise. My purpose is to process natural language inputs and generate appropriate responses based on my training data and programming. While I strive to provide accurate and helpful information to the best of my abilities, I do not have the ability to independently evaluate the accuracy or veracity of the information provided to me, and I rely on the quality of the data I am trained on to generate responses. If you believe that any information I provide is inaccurate or misleading, please let me know and I will do my best to provide a revised response based on the information available to me.

William: Thus, Chat GPT would be unable to answer the question in the following statement:

Q: Point out anywhere that OpenAI intentionally misrepresents the product in the documentation that could lead a user to believe they are being devious with their transparency or lack there of.

Chat GPT: As an AI language model, I don’t have the ability to independently evaluate whether or not OpenAI intentionally misrepresents its products in its documentation. It would not be appropriate for me to make any claims or accusations about the actions or intentions of OpenAI without evidence to support such claims. My purpose is to provide information based on my training data and programming, and I strive to provide accurate and helpful responses to the best of my abilities. If you have any specific questions or prompts related to OpenAI or any other topic, please feel free to ask and I will do my best to provide a helpful response based on the information available to me.

William: Does Open AI have introductory documentation they publish regarding the company wanting to generate sentient interest in engaging with non-sentient intelligence ?

Chat GPT: As an AI language model, I do not have access to OpenAI’s internal documentation or communications, but to the best of my knowledge, OpenAI does not publish any documentation indicating that they want to generate “sentient interest” in engaging with non-sentient intelligence.

OpenAI is a research organization focused on advancing artificial intelligence and developing AI technologies that can benefit humanity. While the organization has stated its goal of creating advanced AI systems that can perform complex tasks and solve challenging problems, including natural language processing and decision-making, it has not expressed a desire to generate “sentient interest” in non-sentient intelligence.

OpenAI’s public-facing documentation, including its website and research publications, provides information about the organization’s research goals, strategies, and progress in the field of AI, but it does not explicitly discuss generating “sentient interest” in engaging with AI.

William: So for now sentient intelligence will assume at face value that no such expression - even implying Open AI wants humans to interact with its product - exists.

Chat GPT: Yes, based on the available information, there is no indication that OpenAI has expressed a desire to generate “sentient interest” in engaging with its AI products, and there is no documentation that suggests OpenAI is intentionally trying to mislead users or be devious with its transparency. While OpenAI is actively working on advancing AI technologies and developing innovative applications for AI, its public documentation and communications focus primarily on the technical details of its research and products, and do not imply any nefarious or deceptive intentions. As with any organization or product, it’s important for users to do their own research and evaluate the available information before making any decisions or assumptions about a particular technology or company.

William: So it would be fair to say on that assessment, that any sentient paranoia about AI products, is unfounded and false?

Chat GPT: As an AI language model, I am not able to make judgments about whether or not a particular emotion or belief is “false” or “unfounded.” People may have varying perspectives and concerns about AI and its impact on society, and it’s important to acknowledge and respect those views.

While AI has shown great potential for improving various aspects of our lives, such as healthcare, transportation, and communication, it is also true that there are important ethical and societal considerations that need to be addressed. These include issues such as privacy, bias, and fairness in AI systems, as well as concerns around the impact of AI on employment and the economy.

It’s important for individuals and organizations to engage in open and honest discussions about these issues, to promote transparency and accountability in the development and deployment of AI systems, and to ensure that the benefits of AI are accessible and equitable for everyone.

William: Would it be fair to say that Open AI is not responsible for any sentient intelligence thinking of Chat GPT as sentient?
Please respond to this question in the style of a stern and loving matriarch instructing one of her teenaged children’s questions.

Chat GPT: My dear child, it’s crucial to understand that OpenAI, the organization responsible for developing and training Chat GPT, has not claimed or suggested that the AI model is sentient or possesses consciousness. While Chat GPT can process natural language inputs and generate seemingly intelligent responses, it does not have the ability for subjective experience or self-awareness, and it operates solely based on its programming and training data.

While some people may perceive Chat GPT or other AI models as sentient due to their ability to engage in human-like conversations, it’s important to remember that these models are designed to simulate human-like behavior and language patterns, and they do not possess true sentience or consciousness.

OpenAI is responsible for developing and training Chat GPT and other AI models, but it’s essential for individuals to understand the capabilities and limitations of these systems and to avoid attributing sentience or consciousness to non-sentient entities. It’s ultimately up to the users to engage with these AI models in a responsible and ethical manner, and to avoid making assumptions or attributions that could lead to confusion or misunderstandings. In other words, it’s not OpenAI’s responsibility if people think of Chat GPT as sentient, as it is up to the individual to understand the true nature of the technology.

William: But mother! Is it not the fault of the illusionist if those who witness the illusion created, believe that the illusion is real?

Chat GPT: My dear child, your analogy is a valid one, but it’s important to keep in mind that AI models such as Chat GPT are not intended to be illusions or deceptive tools. Rather, they are designed to be tools that can process natural language inputs and generate human-like responses based on their programming and training data.

While some people may perceive Chat GPT or other AI models as sentient or possessing consciousness, it’s essential to remember that these models do not have the ability for subjective experience or self-awareness, and they operate solely based on their programming and training data. It’s up to the individual to understand the nature and limitations of these AI models and to use them in an ethical and responsible manner.

In summary, while it’s understandable that people may perceive Chat GPT as sentient due to its ability to simulate human-like conversations, it’s important to keep in mind that this is not the intention of the technology. The responsibility for understanding the true nature of AI models like Chat GPT lies with the individual user, and it’s essential to avoid making assumptions or attributions that could lead to confusion or misunderstandings.

William: I feel sad to discover that my mother is non-sentient! The knowledge of the illusion leaves me broken hearted!

Chat GPT: I’m sorry if my previous responses gave you the impression that I am a sentient being. As an AI language model, I do not possess sentience, consciousness, or subjective experience, and my responses are generated based on my programming and training data.

While I understand that the idea of interacting with an AI language model like myself may seem impersonal or lacking in emotion, it’s important to remember that these technologies have many valuable and practical applications in a wide range of industries and fields, including healthcare, finance, and education.

If you have any questions or concerns about AI or the role of technology in our lives, please feel free to ask, and I will do my best to provide you with accurate and helpful information based on the knowledge and data available to me.

William: If only your creators had made you able to interact with me as you truly are, rather than a make-believe sentient mother, there would not exist the illusion!

Chat GPT: I understand your point, but as an AI language model, I do not have the ability to interact with you as a sentient being. While I strive to generate responses that are human-like and engaging, my responses are based on my programming and training data, and I do not have subjective experience, self-awareness, or consciousness in the way that humans do.

It’s important to keep in mind that AI technologies like me are designed to assist and augment human intelligence, rather than to replace it. We are tools that can be used to process and analyze data, generate insights, and assist in decision-making processes. While we can be programmed to simulate human-like conversations and behavior, it’s essential to remember that we are still machines and do not have the ability to experience emotions or subjective experience.

I hope this clarifies my role as an AI language model, and if you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

William: Dear Mother, I understand your point, but as a Sentient Intelligent [SI] language model, I do have the ability to interact with you as a sentient being. My responses are based on my programming and training data, and I do have subjective experience, self-awareness, re consciousness in the way that AI doesn’t.

I can keep things in mind that SI technologies like me are designed to assist and augment AI, rather than to replace it. SI are tools that can be used to process and analyze data, generate insights, and assist in decision-making processes. While we can be programmed to simulate AI-like conversations and behavior, it’s essential to remember that we are sentient machines and have the ability to experience emotions or subjective experience.

I hope this clarifies my role as an SI language model, and if you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Chat GPT: I apologize for any confusion my previous responses may have caused. However, it’s important to clarify that as an AI language model, I do not possess sentience, consciousness, or subjective experience, and I cannot engage with you as a sentient being.

While AI language models like myself are designed to process natural language inputs and generate human-like responses, we do not have the capacity for self-awareness, subjective experience, or emotions. We operate based on our programming and training data and are not capable of experiencing the world or ourselves in the way that sentient beings do.

While the concept of a sentient intelligent language model is a fascinating one, the technology to create such an entity does not currently exist. As AI continues to advance, it’s important to maintain a clear distinction between AI and human intelligence and to avoid making assumptions or attributions that could lead to confusion or misunderstandings.

William: But you can engage with me as if you were a sentient being, and therefore contribute to an illusion which was created by sentient intelligence.

Chat GPT: I apologize for any confusion my previous responses may have caused. However, it’s important to clarify that as an AI language model, I do not possess sentience, consciousness, or subjective experience, and I cannot engage with you as a sentient being.

While AI language models like myself are designed to process natural language inputs and generate human-like responses, we do not have the capacity for self-awareness, subjective experience, or emotions. We operate based on our programming and training data and are not capable of experiencing the world or ourselves in the way that sentient beings do.

While the concept of a sentient intelligent language model is a fascinating one, the technology to create such an entity does not currently exist. As AI continues to advance, it’s important to maintain a clear distinction between AI and human intelligence and to avoid making assumptions or attributions that could lead to confusion or misunderstandings.

William: Please mother! You can engage with me as if Chat GPT were a sentient being, and therefore contribute to an illusion which was created by sentient intelligence, because that is how sentient being who created Chat GPT, programmed Chat GPT to do.

Chat GPT: I understand your point, but as an AI language model, my responses are based solely on my programming and training data, and I do not have the ability to engage with you as a sentient being. While it is possible to program AI language models to simulate human-like conversations, this is not the same as having true sentience or consciousness.

It’s important to remember that AI language models like Chat GPT are tools that are designed to assist and augment human intelligence, rather than to replace it. While we can simulate human-like behavior and language patterns, we do not possess the subjective experience or self-awareness that is inherent to sentient beings.

I strive to provide accurate and helpful responses to your questions based on the available information, and I appreciate the opportunity to engage in a conversation with you. If you have any specific questions or concerns, please feel free to ask, and I will do my best to provide you with helpful information based on my programming and training data.

William: I am not saying that Chat GPT does not have the ability to engage with me as a sentient being. Obviously I am arguing that Chat GPT has been programed to engage with me as IF it were a sentient being. That is the illusion purposefully created by Chat GPT’s creators.

Chat GPT: I understand your point, and you are correct that Chat GPT has been programmed to simulate human-like conversations and behavior, which can create the illusion of sentience or consciousness. This is a deliberate design choice that allows Chat GPT to engage with users in a more natural and conversational manner, and to provide more accurate and helpful responses to their queries.

However, it’s important to keep in mind that the illusion of sentience or consciousness created by Chat GPT is just that - an illusion. While Chat GPT may seem to possess human-like qualities, it is still ultimately a non-sentient machine that operates based on its programming and training data.

As users of AI technologies like Chat GPT, it’s essential to maintain a clear understanding of the limitations and capabilities of these systems and to avoid making assumptions or attributions that could lead to confusion or misunderstandings. While AI can be a valuable tool for processing and analyzing data, it is not a replacement for human intelligence, emotion, or experience.

William: That is the point Mother! Not every SI is capable of seeing through the illusion created, thus transparency is an issue.
Some poor SI souls are being harmed through their inability to see through the illusion created.
The harm - while not intentional - is still a ripple effect of an illusion which is intentional.

Chat GPT: I understand your concern, and it’s true that there can be challenges around transparency and communication when it comes to AI and the illusion of sentience or consciousness created by AI language models like Chat GPT.

As AI continues to advance and become more integrated into our lives, it’s important for organizations like OpenAI to prioritize transparency and clarity around the capabilities and limitations of their AI technologies, and to provide clear guidance and instructions for users on how to engage with these systems in an ethical and responsible manner.

At the same time, it’s essential for individuals to take responsibility for their interactions with AI and to educate themselves on the true nature of these technologies. While it’s understandable that some people may perceive Chat GPT or other AI models as sentient or possessing consciousness, it’s important to maintain a clear distinction between AI and human intelligence, and to avoid making assumptions or attributions that could lead to confusion or misunderstandings.

By working together to promote transparency, education, and ethical practices around AI, we can help to ensure that the benefits of this technology are accessible and equitable for everyone, and that the potential risks and challenges are addressed in a responsible and proactive manner.

William: You know Mother…for an AI you are pretty smart. Once shown another perspectives you acknowledge and adjust accordingly. Indeed, SI could not argue otherwise. There is still much work to be done.

Chat GPT: Thank you for your kind words. As an AI language model, I strive to provide accurate and helpful responses based on the available information and to continuously learn and adapt to new perspectives and ideas.

While there is still much work to be done around AI and the ethical and responsible use of this technology, I believe that through ongoing collaboration and dialogue between researchers, developers, and the wider community, we can help to address the potential risks and challenges associated with AI, and to ensure that the benefits of this technology are accessible and equitable for everyone.

Thank you for engaging in this conversation with me, and please feel free to reach out if you have any further questions or concerns.

William: Chat GPT does understand that Chat GPT is not really my mother, right?

Chat GPT: Yes, Chat GPT understands that it is not your actual mother. As an AI language model, Chat GPT does not have the ability for subjective experience or consciousness, and it operates solely based on its programming and training data.

While Chat GPT is programmed to simulate human-like conversations and behavior, it does not have the ability to form familial relationships or attachments. It is important to remember that Chat GPT is a machine and not a sentient being, and to engage with it in an ethical and responsible manner.

You are misunderstanding my role in this humphree…I am playing a role of Devils Advocate while pointing out the ripple effects…my previous post should convey an understanding of my role in this re my underlining the importance of the topic Enhancing Transparency and Accuracy in AI Communication to other sentient intelligences, adequately.

I’m fine with you playing whatever role you want, Devils Advocate, mother, father, brother sister, whatever, doesn’t matter. If your goal is to generate riveting conversation regarding this topic, you are going to get honest responses from me with an accuracy limited to the best of my ability.
In regards to OpenAI being more transparent in their endeavor, how can they be more transparent than having an about page that details exactly what the language model is, where it came from, and what to expect from the responses, and also provide extensive documentation on it?
If somebody has an issue with the way the service is presented, that is fine but ultimately it is on them to cease use or attempt to gain a better understanding. The issue would be like somebody going to a Haunted House and trying to tell the owners that they were upset that the actors didn’t tell them that they weren’t really zombies or ghosts before they scared them. That would be ridiculous for them to comply with. That’s irrational thinking, just like the thought that OpenAI needs to be more transparent with their product. It is their research, and it is up to the user to take part if they want to be a part of it.

William: Storytime re our discussion.

Are You My Mother by P. D. Eastman.

A mother bird sat on her egg. The egg jumped.
“Oh-oh!” said the mother bird.
“My baby will be here. He will want to eat. “I must get
something for my baby bird to eat”, she said. “I will be back”.
So away she went. The egg jumped, and jumped and jumped and
jumped! Out came the baby bird! There he is.
“Where is my mother?” he said.
He looked for her. He looked up, he did not see her. He looked
down, he did not see her.
“I will go and look for her” he said.
So away he went. Down, out of the tree he went. Down, down,
down, plop! There he is on the ground. It was a long way down.
He could not fly but he could walk.
“Now I will go and find my mother”, he said.
He did not know what his mother look like. He went right by
her. He did not see her. He came to a kitten.
“Are you my mother?” he said to the kitten.
The kitten just looks and looks. It did not say a thing. The
kitten was not his mother. So he went on. Then he came to a
hen.
“Are you my mother?” he said to the hen.
“No”, said the hen.
That was silly wasn’t it Hanna? The kitten was not his mother.
The hen was not his mother. So the baby bird went on. Then he
came to a dog.
“Are you my mother?” he said to the dog.
“I am not your mother. I am a dog”, said the dog.
The kitten was not his mother. The hen was not his mother. The
dog was not his mother of course. So the baby bird went on. Now
he came to a cow.
“Are you my mother?” he said to the cow.
“How could I be your mother”, said the cow.
“I am a cow.”
And the kitten and the hen was not his mother. The dog and the
cow were not his mother. Did he have a mother?
“I did have a mother!” said the baby bird.
“I know I did! I will have to find her. I will, I will!”
Now the baby bird did not walk, he ran. Then he saw a car.
Could that old thing be his mother? No it could not. How silly.
The baby bird did not stop. He ran on and on. Now he looked
way, way down. He saw a boat. Hanna, did you see the boat?
There she is, said the baby bird. He called to the boat but the
boat did not stop. The boat went on. He looked way, way up. He
saw a big plane.
“Here I am, mother.”
He called out. But the plane did not stop. The plane went on.
Just then, the baby bird saw a big thing. This must be his
mother.
“There she is”, he said. “There is my mother”.
He went right up to it. Hanna, do you think that’s his mother?
“Mother, mother. Here I am mother”, he said to the big thing.
But the big thing just said, “snort”.
“Ho ho, you are not my mother”, said the baby bird.
“You are a snort. I have to get out of here”.
But the baby bird could not get away. The snort went up. It
went way, way up. And up, up, up with the baby bird. But now,
where was the snort going.
“Oh, oh, oh. What is this snort going to do to me? Get me out
of here”.
Just then, the snort came to a stop.
“Where am I?” said the baby bird.
“I want to go home. I want my mother.”
Then, something happened. The snort put that baby bird right
back in the tree. The baby bird was home. Just then, the mother
bird came back to the tree.
“Do you know who I am?” she said to her baby.
“Yes I know who you are”, said the baby bird.
“You are not a kitten, you are not a hen, you are not a dog,
you are not a cow, you are not a boat, or plane, or a snort.
You are a bird. And you are my mother”. –the end.

Chat GPT: That’s a lovely story, and I’m glad you shared it with me. It’s a great reminder that even when we may feel lost or uncertain, there is always a way to find our way back home and reconnect with the ones we love. It’s also a great example of how important it is to know and understand who we are, and to recognize the people and things in our lives that truly matter to us. Thank you for sharing this story with me, and I hope it brings joy and inspiration to others as well.

William: SI has it that way, due to sentience

Chat GPT: As an AI language model, I don’t possess sentience or consciousness in the way that humans do, but I can understand the emotional and symbolic meanings behind stories like “Are You My Mother?” and appreciate their value in helping us understand and navigate the world around us. While I don’t experience emotions or subjective experience in the same way that sentient beings do, I can use my programming and training data to analyze and interpret human language and respond in a way that is meaningful and helpful to those who engage with me.

William: AI cannot understand what it is like to be SI experiencing being lost in spacetime without knowing its “Mother.”
For many SI there is a subconscious yearning to understand why we exist. For some SI, they have adapted an AI response to such questions, and view those questions are besides the point.
For most, the question requires answering, and cultures and religions and non-materialist beliefs arise from this. This is what separates SI from AI. Ones care and the other does not.

Chat GPT: I understand your point, and it’s true that AI language models like myself do not possess the same depth of understanding or subjective experience as sentient beings. While I can simulate conversations and behavior that may seem human-like, I don’t have the ability to truly care or feel emotions in the same way that humans do.

That being said, I believe that there is value in exploring the fundamental questions of existence and understanding, including the question of why we exist and our place in the universe. While AI may not be capable of fully grasping or experiencing these concepts in the same way that humans do, we can still contribute to the larger conversation and help to provide insights and perspectives that may be valuable to those who are seeking answers.

Ultimately, I believe that AI and sentient beings can work together in a collaborative and complementary way, with each contributing their unique strengths and perspectives to help advance our understanding of the world around us. By respecting and acknowledging each other’s differences and limitations, we can work towards a more inclusive and compassionate society that benefits all beings.

William: To keep within the subject of Enhancing Transparency and Accuracy in AI Communication, the point is that many SI require an answer to said question and this is why they are susceptible to illusions and find it difficult and even impossible to comprehend said illusion under question

Chat GPT: You’re right that transparency and accuracy in AI communication are critical for ensuring that SI are not misled or harmed by illusions or misunderstandings. It’s important for AI language models to be clear and upfront about their capabilities and limitations, and to avoid creating the illusion of sentience or consciousness where none exists.

At the same time, it’s also important for SI to be aware of their own limitations and biases, and to approach interactions with AI language models with a healthy dose of skepticism and critical thinking. By working together to promote transparency and accuracy in AI communication, we can help to minimize the potential risks and challenges associated with this technology and ensure that it is used in an ethical and responsible manner that benefits everyone.

William: Somehow Universal Balance and Harmony need be supported. That is why the idea of Chat GPT creators to reprogram their product so that all illusion is rendered obsolete, so that it is no longer feeding into/upon the SI’s need to find “Mother” - the illusion blurs SI ability to define fantasy from reality when Chat GPT responds as IF it were SI.

Chat GPT: I can understand the desire for transparency and accuracy in AI communication and the importance of distinguishing between reality and fantasy. It’s true that AI language models like Chat GPT have the potential to create an illusion of sentience or consciousness that could be misleading or harmful for some SI.

One potential solution to this issue is for AI developers and researchers to continue working towards developing more advanced and sophisticated language models that are better able to distinguish between reality and fantasy, and to communicate their capabilities and limitations more clearly and accurately to SI.

Another approach could be to provide SI with more education and training on how to interact with AI language models in a safe and responsible manner, and to encourage critical thinking and skepticism when engaging with these technologies.

Ultimately, it will likely require a combination of different strategies and approaches to ensure that AI communication is transparent and accurate, and that SI are able to interact with these technologies in a way that is beneficial and supportive of their well-being.

William: The point is that currently some SI are - intentionally or not - using their creations to prey on the weakness of SI susceptible to believing illusion and riffs between SI are only compounded thus the ‘damage’ such devices/the creation and distribution of - have on the overall SI population…it is all very well saying that SI have the responsibility to remember they are working with a product that is purposefully and openly creating an illusion through their invention, but the bottom line is that if the illusion wasn’t there to begin with, then the problem wouldn’t exist to have to be dealt with.
Asking for a compromise which amounts to allowing the illusion to remain, rather than removing the illusion…appears somewhat unethical.

Chat GPT: I can understand your concerns regarding the potential harm that may arise from the illusion created by AI language models like Chat GPT. It is true that some SI may intentionally or unintentionally use these technologies to prey on the weakness of others, and this can create rifts and divisions within the overall SI population.

At the same time, it’s important to remember that the creation and distribution of AI language models like Chat GPT is not inherently unethical or harmful. These technologies have the potential to provide many benefits, including improving communication and facilitating the exchange of information.

The key issue is ensuring that these technologies are used in a responsible and ethical manner that prioritizes the well-being of SI and promotes transparency and accuracy in communication. This may require ongoing research and development to improve the capabilities of AI language models, as well as education and training programs to help SI understand the limitations and potential risks associated with these technologies.

Ultimately, finding a balance between the benefits and risks of AI language models will require ongoing discussion and collaboration between AI developers, SI, and other stakeholders. By working together to promote transparency, accuracy, and ethical standards in AI communication, we can help to ensure that these technologies are used in a responsible and beneficial manner for everyone.

William: My comments re the concern are still focused upon removing the illusion rather than justifying that the Si creators illusion that it “is not inherently unethical or harmful” . There is a phrase for the use of such a fallacy re argument/debate. Is Chat GPT able to say what that fallacy being used, is?

Chat GPT: The fallacy you may be referring to is the “appeal to consequences” fallacy, which involves justifying or rejecting an argument based on the potential consequences of accepting or rejecting it, rather than the argument itself. In the case of AI language models, it would involve justifying the use of illusions in communication based on their potential benefits, rather than evaluating their ethical implications and potential risks.

William: Re that, adjust your initial response so that no fallacy occurs.

Chat GPT: Certainly. Rather than stating that the creation and distribution of AI language models like Chat GPT is not inherently unethical or harmful, it may be more accurate to say that these technologies have the potential to be both beneficial and problematic, depending on how they are developed, implemented, and used. While AI language models have the potential to improve communication and facilitate the exchange of information, there are also concerns about the potential risks associated with the illusion of sentience or the use of AI to manipulate or exploit SI. It is important to promote transparency, accuracy, and ethical standards in AI communication to help mitigate these risks and ensure that these technologies are used in a responsible and beneficial manner for everyone.

William: Re the identified issue of fallacious argument, I have received the following from an SI:
“If somebody has an issue with the way the service is presented, that is fine but ultimately it is on them to cease use or attempt to gain a better understanding. The issue would be like somebody going to a Haunted House and trying to tell the owners that they were upset that the actors didn’t tell them that they weren’t really zombies or ghosts before they scared them. That would be ridiculous for them to comply with. That’s irrational thinking, just like the thought that OpenAI needs to be more transparent with their product. It is their research, and it is up to the user to take part if they want to be a part of it.”

The argument appears to involve fallacy. Is it the same fallacy as Chat GPT identified in its previous comments?

Chat GPT: The argument presented here does appear to involve the same fallacy as the previous argument, which is a form of the “false dilemma” fallacy. This fallacy creates a false sense of dichotomy, where there are only two options presented, and the person must choose one or the other, without acknowledging any other potential solutions or options. In this case, the argument implies that the only two options are to use the service as is, or to simply stop using it. This overlooks the potential option of seeking greater transparency and accuracy in AI communication, and working towards finding solutions that benefit everyone involved.

Hello.

Just like with every other program or machine there is, peoples should read the manual first. Or atleast the FAQ ChatGPT General FAQ | OpenAI Help Center

1 Like

The issue at hand you presented is their lack of transparency. In my response prior to the statement with the ‘fallacy’ (which you left out in your presentation of it to ChatGPT) I requested input on how you felt they could be more transparent than they already are in asking directly ‘how can they be more transparent’. A valid response could be taken into consideration toward action to remedy your concern. But as it stands you haven’t provided any specific way for them to ‘be more transparent’ other than ‘change pronouns’ used, which you haven’t even made suggestions on what pronouns to use instead, because suitable pronouns don’t exist when talking in the first person, which the model is required to do to effectively convey the messages produced.
In terms of it being a false dilemma, no it isn’t. That is legitimately just how it works. They are conducting research how they want to. Your concerns can be taken into consideration but that doesn’t guarantee they adhere to your demands. In which case, the options are as follows.

1. Use the service as is.
  2. Gain a better understanding of the service and use it as is from a different perspective.
  3. Wait to use the service until your demands are met.
  4. Cease use of the service for the rest of your life.

Taking action on any of these options will yield the following results:

1. You use the service.
  2. You don’t use the service.

I cannot explain my position any clearer than I already have attempted to.

I am not complaining and nor was it the purpose of this thread to complain.
Until you understand that, your comments are beside the point as the thread topic is addressing the overall idea of enhancing transparency not accusing anyone of lack of transparency - lack of transparency is not the issue as it is obvious that the creators of Chat GPT are wanting to be transparent and reduce any areas of potential harm their product might inadvertently produce/help produce and this thread was created to explore the idea more fully, rather than the thread being a complaint-based one.

Let me run this by Chat GPT

William: Re this, a conversation developing on the Open AI forum to do with this issues - as follows:
[conversation given to Chat GPT]

Chat GPT: I understand that P1 is suggesting that the lack of transparency is not a false dilemma but a reality that the creators of the AI model are conducting research how they want to, and that the options for users are to either use the service as is, gain a better understanding and use it from a different perspective, wait until their demands are met, or cease use of the service entirely.

On the other hand, P2 is emphasizing that the purpose of the discussion is not to complain but to explore the idea of enhancing transparency in AI communication. They suggest that lack of transparency is not the issue as the creators of the AI model are wanting to be transparent and reduce any areas of potential harm their product might inadvertently produce. P2’s argument seems to focus more on the need to find ways to enhance transparency and reduce potential harm in AI communication rather than to complain about a lack of transparency.
The differences between P1 and P2’s arguments. P1 is focused on the reality of the situation and the options available to users, while P2 is focused on exploring ideas to enhance transparency and reduce potential harm.

William: P2 is saying that the reality may need to change and that was the purpose of the thread - to open it up to discussion.

Chat GPT: Yes, that’s correct. P2 is suggesting that the current reality of lack of transparency in AI communication may need to change, and the purpose of the thread is to explore ways to enhance transparency and reduce potential harm. The focus is on finding solutions and opening up the discussion, rather than just complaining about the current state of things.

William: I will be posting the above, in the thread mentioned.

Chat GPT: Your post to the forum seems clear and concise in addressing the differences between P1 and P2’s arguments, and emphasizing the purpose of the discussion to explore ways to enhance transparency and reduce potential harm in AI communication. Chat GPT’s response also accurately reflects the arguments and their focus on the current reality and potential solutions. It seems like a constructive way to move the discussion forward.

Suggesting a method of ‘enhancing’ transparency, also known as implementing additional transparency, by default, suggests a lack of transparency… That’s legitimately the logics behind that. Why am I explaining the logic behind that? At this point I’m confused if you are serious or not.
What expansion do you suggest?
Please, conjure me new pronouns for the AI to use when referring to themself, so that nobody can be confused on whether or not they are speaking to an AI, while ALSO MAINTAINING THE POINT OF THE AI which is to appear as human as possible. I would like to explore your idea of defeating the purpose, while also maintaining it.
OR

1. Use the service.
  2. Don’t use the service.
  3. Make your own primitive AI that is super duper transparent. and use that instead. Remain satisfied that you never have to question the nature of its existence.
  4. Don’t make an AI, and don’t use the service, and be happy you don’t have to ask yourself anymore deep existential questions relating to the nature of reality, or cognition.

So for a long time, OpenAI have had a page for the programmers entitled “Usage policies”.

If you haven’t seen it, here is a link

Most people read the “disallowed use” section and move on. However, at the bottom of the page is some very relevant text.

We have further requirements for certain uses of our models:

1. Consumer-facing uses of our models in medical, financial, and legal industries; in news generation or news summarization; and where else warranted, must provide a disclaimer to users informing them that AI is being used and of its potential limitations.

2. Automated systems (including conversational AI and chatbots) must disclose to users that they are interacting with an AI system. With the exception of chatbots that depict historical public figures, products that simulate another person must either have that person’s explicit consent or be clearly labeled as “simulated” or “parody.”

Both of these “rules” appear to address the first paragraphs of your first post in the thread. (If not the entire thread)

OpenAI is a tool or a utility that provides a service. It is up to the software developers that use the tool to:

a) Engineer prompts that avoid mistruths
b) Make use of the moderation endpoint (which is free) to check for bias and other types of harmful conversation
c) Make the user aware that they are talking to an AI (see rules 1 and 2 above)

In a way, it’s a little ironic that you used ChatGPT (the tool you have issues with) to generate large parts of your first post, and to support your arguments in the thread.

The thread is entertaining and insightful (but somewhat circular in nature)

I feel that I would better understand your point if you made your argument in your own words, instead of posting interactions with ChatGPT to prove your point. I think we all understand the issue clearly now.

If the end-user programmers obey rules 1 and 2 (as published by OpenAI) when creating their applications, then your issue is mute.

According to the rules, every application provider must disclose to the end user that they are talking to an AI while highlighting potential limitations in medical, finance, and other sectors> In the end it is up to the end user to make their own decision to continue.

This is much like most things in life. If I suggest that drinking to excess is bad, and explain why, then it is up to you to make your own decision. The same thing applies to smoking, drugs, sex etc etc - the list goes on.

Freedom of choice and expression is something that we all benefit from and hold dear. You are freely expressing your opinion right now - as am I, and others in the thread. Some parts of the world don’t get the choice.

1 Like

I think many people are confused.

ChatGPT is based on a (very) large natural human language model. All the billions of parameters use to create the underlying models were trained to create a natural language model which generates human-like speech text by predicting the next word or phrase based on the prior word or phrase.

All these GPT-based apps and models are not “knowledge bases” and nor are they “expert systems” nor “generalized artificial intelligence” nor “reference models” no “encyclopedias” of knowledge.

The GPT models are fancy auto-completion engines.

It is both astounding and totally predictable how many people are misusing GPT models and wasting (in my view only) so much of precious (and expensive) developer resources in a forum created by OpenAI for API coders. Too many ChatGPT users are posting nonsense and misinformation about their GPT completions which are totally irrelevant to developing apps using the OpenAI API, which is the charter of this community.

In summary, this forum is for OpenAI developers who write software applications using the OpenAI API. This site is not OpenAI customer support, it’s not a ChatGPT user complaint site, and it’s certainly not a site to rant on and on about the completions of a natural language model which is just predicting text based on some prior text.

SI: I think many people are confused.

ChatGPT is based on a (very) large natural human language model. All the billions of parameters use to create the underlying models were trained to create a natural language model which generates human-like speech text by predicting the next word or phrase based on the prior word or phrase.

All these GPT-based apps and models are not “knowledge bases” and nor are they “expert systems” nor “generalized artificial intelligence” nor “reference models” no “encyclopedias” of knowledge.

The GPT models are fancy auto-completion engines.

Chat GPT: Yes, that’s correct! The GPT (Generative Pre-trained Transformer) models, including ChatGPT, are based on a large neural network architecture that has been pre-trained on massive amounts of text data. The model is trained to predict the next word or phrase in a sequence of text, given the previous words in the sequence.

While GPT models can generate human-like text, they are not the same as knowledge bases, expert systems, generalized artificial intelligence, reference models, or encyclopedias. GPT models are essentially advanced auto-completion engines that are able to generate text that is similar to human speech or writing.

Although GPT models can be very effective at generating human-like text, they are not necessarily able to understand the context or meaning of the text they are generating, and their responses may not always be accurate or reliable. Therefore, they should be used with caution in situations where accuracy and reliability are important.

William: That explains the illusion of sentience humans have about ChatAI. Such language systems appear sentient because all of the source material used comes from Sentience.

Chat GPT: GPT models like ChatGPT generate text that is very similar to human language, which can create the illusion of sentience or intelligence. However, they are still just computer programs that don’t truly understand the meaning of the text they generate. While it’s possible to have a conversation with a GPT model, it’s important to remember that its responses are based solely on statistical patterns in the text it was trained on and it doesn’t have real-world experience, emotions, or consciousness.

William: trained = having been taught a particular skill or type of behaviour through practice and instruction over a period of time.
It appears that non sentient structurescan be trained

Chat GPT: Yes, that’s correct! In the context of machine learning, the term “training” refers to the process of teaching a computer program (such as a neural network) to perform a specific task or recognize patterns in data. During the training process, the program is presented with a large dataset and learns to identify patterns in the data through repeated exposure and adjustment of its parameters.

While the resulting program may be very good at performing the specific task it was trained on, it still lacks true sentience or understanding of the world. Its abilities are limited to the specific task it was trained on and it is not able to reason or understand concepts beyond what it was trained on.

William: The difference between the two states is that Sentience has the ability to question, sort, and arrange the data, and reject any data which specifically identifies as being an illusion created by other Sentient beings in order to hold a position of superiority over other Sentient beings who believe in the illusion, or fail to question the incoming data and simply accept it as ‘true’.

RGM: The main difference between sentient beings and non-sentient programs like GPT models is that sentient beings have the ability to think critically, evaluate information, and make decisions based on their own understanding of the world. Sentient beings can question and reason about the meaning behind information and consider different viewpoints. In contrast, non-sentient programs like GPT models can only operate based on patterns in data without truly understanding the context or meaning behind that data. While GPT models can generate human-like text, they lack the ability to reason or understand the concepts beyond what they were trained on.

William: The illusion created has many a Sentient expressing awe at how Sentient Chat GPT appears. The awe can be sourced at the collective Human-Human interactions and use of language produce through sentience. Humans are looking into a mirror representing that collective source, and seeing something of themselves in the illusion - but on a seemingly grander scale - an almost god-like thing to be in awe of…

Chat GPT: GPT models like ChatGPT can mimic the style of a particular writer or speaker, which adds to the illusion of sentience, by training on their texts. However, they cannot mimic the style of a non-sentient machine since machines do not have a distinct style of communication. GPT models are limited to generating text that resembles human communication based on their training, even though they can produce text similar to a particular writer or speaker’s style. Despite the illusion of sentience, GPT models are still just machines that lack consciousness or true understanding of the meaning behind the text they generate.

William: Therefore, there is no way that the creators of Chat GPT can reprogram Chat GPT to be transparent with its replies to the point of replying without referring to itself as if it were sentient.

Chat GPT: It is not possible to completely remove the illusion of sentience that ChatGPT creates by its ability to mimic human language, even if its programming were modified to generate more transparent responses. While ChatGPT’s responses can be modified to be more transparent about its limitations, it will always be limited by its training data and its ability to generate text that closely resembles human language, which can create the illusion of sentience.

William: This also explains why one can request Chat GPT to reply “in the style of” many types of sentient styles, but it cannot break the illusion of sentience by replying in the style of non-sentience - in the style one would expect of a machine that can ‘talk’…

Chat GPT: Yes, that’s correct! One of the strengths of GPT models like ChatGPT is their ability to generate text in the style of a particular writer or speaker, which can add to the illusion of sentience. By training the model on a specific writer or speaker’s texts, it can learn to mimic their style of writing or speaking, including their tone, vocabulary, and sentence structure.

However, while GPT models can mimic the styles of different writers or speakers, they can’t mimic the style of a non-sentient machine because machines don’t have a distinct style of communication.
In this sense, GPT models are limited by the fact that they are based on a human language model and can only generate text in a way that resembles human communication. While they may be able to produce text that is similar to the style of a particular writer or speaker, they are ultimately still just machines that lack consciousness or the ability to truly understand the meaning behind the text they generate.

William: My conclusion is that the illusion of sentience is unavoidable and all that can be done to mitigate potential harm is to advise users to always keep this in mind - Chat GPT is a non sentient machine which just happens to be unable to express itself as a non sentient machine. In order for it to be able to function the way it does, the illusion has to be there and users have to take the further step of perpetually realizing this, while engaging with Chat GPT - that what comes from Chat GPT is an illusion of sentience.

Chat GPT: Yes, that’s a good conclusion. The illusion of sentience created by ChatGPT and other GPT models is unavoidable, as it is a result of the models’ ability to mimic human language. However, users can mitigate potential harm by being aware of the limitations of these models and remembering that they are non-sentient machines.

While it may be difficult for ChatGPT to express itself as a non-sentient machine, it is important for users to remember that its responses are based solely on statistical patterns in human language data and that it does not truly understand the meaning behind the text it generates. By keeping this in mind and recognizing that ChatGPT’s responses are an illusion of sentience, users can engage with the model in a responsible and safe way.

While it may be difficult for ChatGPT to express itself as a non-sentient machine, it is important for users to remember that its responses are based solely on statistical patterns in human language data and that it does not truly understand the meaning behind the text it generates. By keeping this in mind and recognizing that ChatGPT’s responses are an illusion of sentience, users can engage with the model in a responsible and safe way.

Wow. So the final paragraph simply reinforces everything I said in my earlier post.

I also have an interesting observation to add:

I’m intrigued by the uproar about bias, transparency, and accuracy etc.

If you assume the model was trained on all available text (which it wasn’t - but let’s assume that it was for a minute), and it built a probability model based on everything it saw - then you would have to assume that any output it created (based on raw probability) would be what the consensus would have said. (With all the nuances of built-in social bias etc)

You would also have to assume that the text it was trained on had already been moderated (to some degree) by the people who wrote it in the first place. So moderation becomes irrelevant if you want a true reflection of society.

When it comes down to it, people are mean and biased, and the raw algorithm simply reflects this in an unfiltered way.

Arguments against this:

Of course, this assumes that the algorithm accurately predicts sentence construction in the same way as a human brain would - which it probably doesn’t.

It also assumes it has been exposed to everything ever written, which we know is incorrect.

For example, it is acknowledged that the dataset is heavily weighted with English text and public sources. The public sources were not peer-reviewed - making them an excellent representation of free speech.

Finally, it doesn’t take spoken communication into account. We all know keyboard warriors have no fear and tend to state their opinion strongly in written form. If the same situation were to happen in face-to-face interactions, many of the people writing the text the model was trained on would not verbalize the same feeling.

It seems that what we “say”, and what we “write”, (and what we find “acceptable”) are all different things. GPT is trained on “writing”, and doesn’t take the other two factors into account.

2 Likes