DALL-E 3: Opinionated, Boring

Apparently these are the Dalle rules in ChatGPT:

1. Copyrighted Characters & Intellectual Property: Can’t generate images based on copyrighted characters, specific modern artists’ styles, or other protected intellectual properties.
  2. Public Figures: Avoid creating images of politicians or other public figures. Generic descriptions can be used instead of specific names or titles.
  3. Artist Styles: Can’t create images in the style of artists whose last work was created within the last 100 years. For older artists, their style can be mimicked using descriptions.
  4. Number of Images: No more than 4 images can be generated per request.
  5. Inclusivity & Diversity: Depictions of people should be diverse in terms of gender, race, and other attributes, especially in scenarios where bias has traditionally been an issue.
  6. Offensive Content: Avoid generating any imagery that could be considered offensive or inappropriate.
  7. Silent Modifications: Descriptions that include names or hints of specific people or celebrities are subtly modified to generic descriptions without giving away their identities.

Dalle3 in ChatGPT is adhering to these rules very strictly. When I ask for a renaissance painting of a crowd, it’ll change the prompt to “a renaissance painting, containing one person of asian descent, one person of african descent, etc”. If I ask for an image of Super Mario, it’ll change it to “a silhouette of a video game character that does not resemble any existing characters”. It refuses to make anything that even slightly touches into existing properties.

Then it blocks itself:

I wish it was a bit more lenient, like Bing. The images it produces are insanely good.

2 Likes