Hi everyone,
I am experiencing a serious issue with my custom Skill execution in both ChatGPT and Codex, and I would like to know whether anyone else has encountered the same problem.
Background
I am a ChatGPT Pro user and I created my own custom Skills for structured workflows.
Before August 20, 2026 (Beijing Time), these Skills worked normally in the ChatGPT web interface and Codex app.
The Skills were used repeatedly for complex tasks, including:
- Processing uploaded files;
- Following predefined workflow instructions;
- Translating CSV files;
- Maintaining strict CSV structures;
- Applying quality control rules;
- Generating final output files.
The same Skill packages had been working correctly for many previous runs without any changes.
Timeline
August 20, 2026 (Beijing Time)
Suddenly, Skill execution in ChatGPT web stopped working.
When I invoked my custom Skill:
Expected behavior:
- Recognize the Skill;
- Load Skill instructions;
- Execute the workflow;
- Process the files;
- Generate the required output.
Actual behavior:
- The Skill is recognized;
- ChatGPT repeats the Skill description or my task requirements;
- It explains what should be done instead of actually executing the workflow;
- Sometimes it returns unrelated errors and stops.
The important point is that I did not modify the Skill files before this happened.
The same Skill had worked normally before.
Codex behavior
On August 20:
- ChatGPT web Skill execution failed;
- Codex app was still able to execute the Skill.
However, starting August 21:
- Codex also started showing the same failure;
- The Skill instructions are no longer properly followed;
- The agent either repeats the instructions or fails before execution.
Why I think this may not be a Skill file problem
I have tested and observed the following:
- The Skill worked correctly for a long time before the issue.
- No changes were made to the Skill package before the failure.
- The issue appeared first in ChatGPT web and then affected Codex.
- The failure behavior is similar across different environments.
This makes me suspect a possible issue with:
- Skill runtime;
- Skill loading mechanism;
- Agent execution layer;
- Session capability;
- Recent backend changes or regression.
Current symptoms
The main symptom is:
The Skill can be detected, but it cannot actually execute.
The model behaves as if it only sees the Skill description instead of applying the Skill instructions.
For example:
Instead of processing the uploaded CSV according to the Skill workflow, it responds with:
- A summary of the task requirements;
- A restatement of the instructions;
- A description of what it should do.
It does not enter the execution stage.
Questions
Could this be related to a recent update or regression?
I would like to know:
- Has there been any recent change to Custom Skills runtime or execution behavior?
- Is there any known issue affecting Skill loading or execution?
- Could this be an account/session-level problem?
- Are other users experiencing similar problems with their custom Skills?
I can provide:
- Skill package files;
- Conversation logs;
- Screenshots;
- Error messages;
- Reproduction steps.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks.