Completion API 1K token minimum charge, even for fewer tokens

The OpenAI pricing page states that “In the simplest case, if your prompt contains 10 tokens and you request a single 90 token completion from the davinci engine, your request will use 100 tokens and will cost $0.002.”

This seems to imply that any api request carries a 1K token charge minium. Even if prompt+completion is 100 tokens, you will be charged for 1K tokens. By the same logic 1001 tokens would cost as much as 2000 tokens.

Can someone confirm there’s always a minimum 1K token charge?

Where are you seeing this?

$0.002 is 1/10th of $0.02 which is the cost of 1,000 tokens in Davinci currently…And 100 is 1/10th of 1,000…

Hope that helps.

In the faq at the bottom of Pricing

That doesn’t say there’s a 1k minimum. I’m not seeing where you’re reading 1k minimum. Sorry.

1 Like

Silly me. Thank you. You’re absolutely right. Sorry for the confusion.

will you explain me this more breifly
in the FAQ they have written “In the simplest case, if your prompt contains 10 tokens and you request a single 90 token completion from the davinci engine, your request will use 100 tokens and will cost $0.002.”

what does this mean

Create your own custom models by fine-tuning our base models with your training data. Once you fine-tune a model, you’ll be billed only for the tokens you use in requests to that model.

what does this means from above line

so it will charge only prompt tokens not responce tokens if i am requesting from fine tuned model