Combining Tool call requests and a messages in Assistant's response

With the Assistants API, is it possible to get content and call for action in the same response from the model?

Currently, I noticed that Content’ and required_actions are mutually exclusive. The problem with that is that the user has to wait a long time before they can see any response. It would be nice if the LMM could send content to display while we use the tools and submit tool responses.

I see a similar thread here (Is it possible to have tool_call and content in single completion message) that indicates that with CHat Completion, Content and tool actions can be in the response.

Can we get the same capability with Assistants API?

I have a similar question, I don’t understand if the tools (like retrieval and function calling) work parallel and if the assistant produces an answer combining the responses from the two tools. Because I printed the run status in every step and it seems that it uses either the retrieval or the function that I provided, which it doesn’t agree with the second bullet here https://platform.openai.com/docs/assistants/how-it-works .