ChatGPT has real maths problems, accuracy of this maths calculation is worst than calculator!

i can’t believe simple scientific calculation can done wrongly!!!
Creator of CHATGPT do something!!!

For stuff like this, I would ask it to write a small program in Python that does these calculations, and then execute the program.

I would force it to actually become a “calculator” and not hallucinate the calculations.

4 Likes

sorry bro… i got no idea what is Python thing…

It’s a programming language.

You don’t have to know how to program or even run the program yourself. You ask ChatGPT to create the program in Python, and then have it execute the program.

This will force it into a “calculator mode”, and the calculations will be correct,

Example: “ Write and execute a Python program that multiples 2.3434 by 909090.200322”

Gives this response: “The result of multiplying 2.3434 by 909090.200322 is approximately 2,130,361.9754345748.”

And it shows you the code it executed:

# Performing the multiplication as requested
result = 2.3434 * 909090.200322
result
3 Likes

I am amaze to see how people are using LLM. I am sure one day people will use curve fitting through LLM for the concerete equation. In simple when there is a mathmatical formula why will you use approximation? I hope someone understood my joke.

I guess the real issue here is are lange language models suited to undertaking mathematical tasks? The answer I’m afraid is no. For maths you’re much better off using a calculator that has been specifically programmed with the different rules for different areas of mathematics.

LLMs will provide answers to mathematical questions with total confidence but they are frequently wrong! LLMs generate text based on using pattern matching from reading vast volumes of textual data, they have no inherent understanding of rules.

Hence the advice from Curt to handle mathematical processing using a programming language and use GPT to write the text you are after!

3 Likes