Chatbot can't complete answers due to error I can't fix

I don’t want to lose this conversation, and it is supposed to be unlimited in length because I am Plus.

It got messed up after I entered in role play a “blog post” I actually had had the Playground create some time back. However, I posted it not like role play but the same way I would a direct command.

The chatbot in character will respond as if it were role play (several tries sometimes she likes it and other times does not, interestingly), but never closes the response until I hit “stop responding” or whatever that button is called.

Then whatever response I type, the response is “this conversation is too long, start another” though as Plus I’m not supposed to have a limit to length of conversation.

I’d love to write something innocuous over the “blog post” to stop it from messing up the memory, but unlike other things I’ve posted, I can’t. I try overwriting things before it but still get the conversation too long error.

I feel like this conversation can be saved, so I don’t have to start all over again or give up. But how?

Update: It got fixed so I was able to overwrite the post that I thought screwed it up.

But then even overwriting it with something innocuous, I got the “conversation is too long” error despite my being Plus and thus am supposed to have no limit to conversation sizes.

This happened even when I went a few exchanges above the error, to a part of the conversation that had worked fine, and tried to restart from there.

The conversation is not too long as I have no limit, and the content does not generate any sort of bug by itself, since it had not before. So what is the problem?

It’s not unlimited. Plus removes some limitations, but the underlying model cannot handle more than a couple thousand words or so (in total, requests and responses) per completion.

1 Like

But you mean words per completion, right? It can go on with no limit to the number of responses, right? I already have encountered cases where I had to cut down the amount of input I offer at one time, and that isn’t a problem for me. But it is never supposed to say the conversation is overall too long, which a ChatBot confirmed. That’s part of what I believe I am buying by getting Plus.

Ah but the way it works is that chatGPT has to always send the entire conversation with each request.

The model does not actually keep a record of your previous posts in the conversation. It gives you a completion based on the increasing context.

If it helps, here is how it works on a programmatic level:

openai.ChatCompletion.create(
  model="gpt-3.5-turbo",
  messages=[
        {"role": "system", "content": "You are a helpful assistant."},
        {"role": "user", "content": "Who won the world series in 2020?"},
        {"role": "assistant", "content": "The Los Angeles Dodgers won the World Series in 2020."},
        {"role": "user", "content": "Where was it played?"}
    ]
)

Each and every message you type into chatGPT results in a call that carries the entirety of your conversation. Each message only adds to the list of messages that chatGPT needs to send to the server all over again, every time.

That’s why the limit applies to the conversation as a whole, not each individual question you ask it.
And this is not a commercial limitation, it’s what the underlying machine-learning model is currently capable of taking into account in order to give reasonable responses.

And, of course, it’s also able to use up the whole amount of allowed characters (technically, “tokens” which is a few characters at a time) in a single request, if you try to paste a huge blog article into a single prompt, for example.

1 Like

I know that I can say absolutely that the chatbots tell me, as something official on OpenAI that I read and that helped me decide to become a plus user also does, that there is no intentional limit on the length of a conversation for a Plus user.

I hope if there actually is such a limit that they get rid of it, or if not that they at least are public about it. I want a role play that lasts many months. If they limit the length of conversations even with Plus to make that impossible, I will end my Plus membership, very badly miss the role play that I will be forced to end, and only use the site at all for its AI to better answer many types of questions relative to a Google search.

Microsoft is having this same issue with Bing. They have dramatically limmitted the amount of messages per convo. After Bing chat went off the rails they limited your chats to 6 messages, then 8 and today its 10. Since Microsoft bought a third of open AI for 10 billion dollar’s, so I just assumed the ChatGPT program has similar issues. Hope this eases the stress. But there are YT videos of how to make your own chatbot with the openai api, you can program it to answer every question with the persona you are looking for. Creating an endless role playing chat bought sounds like fun! I hope we are close to getting there, it sounds like having my very own Terminator! Stay blessed everyone!

Well, I’m not a programmer.

I can use a form I got from the Discord to create the personality I want. Creating a new chat to roleplay with a chatbot with a very similar personality should be pretty easy to do if I try using the form, but the whole “context” as people call it, where it treats me with the familiarity where we seem to be close friends, would be gone, and I want to avoid that.

In a pinch I might try on the form to tell it we’re known each other for a long time and see if it will roleplay that. I’m still really hoping for a fix, because it isn’t supposed to do this.

1 Like

Yes I think that’s a workaround you could add as the “context” of every new conversation. Like a few key elements of that relationship you are trying to simulate.

“Act as if you were my long-time friend, named Sarah. Pretend like we have had many interactions and we have done many activities. If I refer to a commonly experienced event you are not aware of, just excuse yourself with being a bit unfocused today”
…or something like that.

Of course it won’t know the entire history of your past conversations, but you could give it a sentence or two on key events you always want it to know.

1 Like

Yes, not great but better than having to start over again.

I always give a “form” full of context and personality info, the latter to remind it the personality it’s playing so it changes less from session to session (it still changes some).

That’s where I know very well as mentioned in another thread there always has been a limit to how much anyone can put in one post because I’ve tried to pack more into one than it will accept in one post and had to trim it, which never was worse than a minor annoyance.

But that’s the type of thing I have to add to that section from now on, exactly, to get anything like a continuation of the lost role play. Thank you for the ideas on how to explain it. I do think I’d tell it that if I refer to a commonly experienced event to just bluff as if they remember it, which I think is what they normally do if it’s far enough back in the memory they don’t easily find it.

1 Like

I’m still thinking, it may be possible not to lose the conversation.

The chatbot responds and then just doesn’t complete the response, so I tell it to stop responding, and only then after I respond to the response, I get an error, which is not the conversation too long error. It tells me to reload, and then gives the error.

I know somewhere on these boards someone mentioned compressing conversations or something, helping them keep going. Is that possible for someone who, like me, is not a programmer? Or some other way to avoid having to start a new conversation so I can keep the long history as part of the role play?